Weapon System Equipment - Product Owner / Head of Subsystem
- Closing date
- 28 Mar 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Salary:Up to £55K dependent on experience + bonus + benefits
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
As part of our ongoing delivery commitments to our Customers, we are looking for someone to be a product owner for one or more of our electronic subsystems. You will be responsible for ensuring the engineering activities are carried out in a coherent manner and that all key partners are aware of the product boundaries, the development progression and agreement of key milestones, through all development phases.
Weapon System Equipment plays a key role in the development and delivery of MBDA's products to our Customers. We operate across the full range of Operational Commands including Land, Naval, Airborne and, increasingly, Novel Capability domains ensuring MBDA's systems remain at the forefront of defence capability. We specialise in providing physical design coherency across Weapon Systems for all phases of the development cycle.
Our Mission is to:
- Deliver world-class Systems, Subsystems and Equipment to our Customers Armed Forces
- Contribute to MBDA's international Weapon System Equipment Strategy, bringing the UK perspective to bear and balancing the need for technology re-use with the need to exploit emerging technology trends
- Apply the Weapon system Equipment Strategy to all new programmes, as well as through-life enhancement upgrades.
Wherever possible, Weapon System Equipment looks to deliver modular and re-usable subsystems that can provide the required capability into multiple programmes, whilst ensuring they are fit for purpose in the prescribed environment for the host platform. As a result, we strive to continually reduce cycle times and get equipment in the hands of our customers quicker. We are specifically responsible for the delivery of equipment involved in the safe preparation and launch of missiles from their host launchers, in collaboration with product owners of other subsystems and the project technical leadership teams.
As a product owner, you should be able to demonstrate your ability to:
- Mature a product through the development lifecycle and describe challenges associated with each phase
- Understand benefits of product re-use (and limitations), when compared to new product development/new technologies and apply accordingly
- Define verification and validation strategies for the electrical, mechanical, software and transversal properties of a system or subsystem
- Manage transversal engineering activities and compliance (Safety, Cyber, HF, ILS, etc)
- Manage schedule, cost, quality and performance metrics
- Develop a clear view of programme priorities and make informed judgement calls when there are clashes of interest to meet these aims
- Advance common understanding of programme risks and mitigation strategies
In addition, the successful candidate will engage and maintain key relationships with technical and non-technical partners including Customers and Suppliers. You will be able to describe an engineering system in easy to understand terms and using appropriate tools with audiences of all levels of product engineering experience.
What to expect:
We offer opportunities for career progression, paid overtime (subject to level), bonus scheme, comprehensive pension package, annual salary review, collaborative working environment and excellent on-site facilities.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information!
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve appropriate clearances!
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert