Group Leader Data Analysis
- Diamond Light Source
- Harwell, Didcot
- £55,097 to £74,545 per annum, dependent upon skills and experience
- Closing date
- 27 May 2023
- Electrical, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Sciences
- Job Type
- Director & Senior Management
Group Leader Data Analysis
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
£55,097 to £74,545 per annum, dependent upon skills and experience
Full time / Flexible hours considered.
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth, and environmental sciences.
About the Role
We now have an opportunity for a Data Analysis Group Leader to play an important role in the realisation of the future vision of Diamond. Our organisation underpins research and innovation for more than 8000 scientists, with over 90 research organisations already utilising its unique services.
Development of science technology proceeds at a blistering, relentless pace and requires cutting edge scientific software solutions to facilitate this critical work. With increasingly large and complex data sets and increasing use of correlative analysis it is essential that we enhance our data reduction and analysis solutions to fully support both current and future needs, enabling new science opportunities coming from the development and application of AI and ML techniques.
This role will see you carrying out aspects of scientific engagement, staff management, software project management, and giving leadership to meet overall business objectives. In the wider sense, you’ll work with the IT team and scientists in order to establish performance requirements and support the operation of the facility.
For candidates with the ability to provide strategic leadership and management of scientific software, the role may be available with greater responsibilities and a higher grade as Head of Scientific Software.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Leading and managing the Diamond Data analysis group in close collaboration with the relevant support groups in Diamond, in particular data acquisition and controls.
- Providing the lead in the development, implementation, and management of a medium-term strategic software development plan for data analysis in collaboration with beamline scientists and the relevant support groups.
- Taking responsibility for monitoring and reporting of Group progress, providing regular reports showing progress against outstanding milestones, status, resource requirements, issues, and risks.
- Providing a specialist technical advisory/support function within area of expertise.
- Taking full responsibility for the architecture, design, code, test, deployment, documentation, and support of appropriate software systems.
- Budget management.
Further responsibility for consideration as Head of Scientific Software would include:
- Leading the development of strategy and forward vision for scientific software to support the science programme.
- Providing strategic leadership and vision for scientific computing hardware.
You should hold a First Degree in a suitable STEM subject with experience in experimental science.
You should also demonstrate experience in:
- Modern software project management techniques and tools
- Object orientated languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python.
- Interacting with scientists to gather software requirements and interests and building coherent lists for their delivery.
For consideration as Head of Scientific Software, you will also require experience in HPC and/or HTC hardware, and optimisation of hardware for scientific computing applications.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays and 2 annual volunteering days, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The initial closing date for applications is 18th June and interviews will be taking place on 27th June 2023.
Diamond Light Source is one of the world’s most advanced scientific facilities. We’re home to the UK’s synchrotron light source – a giant microscope producing beams of light 10 billion times brighter than the sun. Probing the structure and composition of matter, our work drives innovation in everything from vaccines to nanotech.
- 01793 442 000
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert