HPC Systems Administrator
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- Berkshire, Reading, England
- £41950 - £60000 per annum
- Closing date
- 11 Apr 2023
- Nuclear, Scientific, Systems
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
Do you want to work with the UK's Supercomputers? An exciting opportunity has arisen for an HPC Systems Administrator to join our Team here at AWE. If you have experience working with high performance computers and want a role which encourages professional development, we want to hear from you!
Location - Reading area
Package - £41,950 - £60,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year, including Bank Holidays, plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
Working as part of the High Performance Computing (HPC) group to provide system administration support for AWE HPC supercomputers and their user communities. You will be responsible for managing some of the most powerful supercomputers in the UK and supporting computational services that have essential roles for AWE's scientific and engineering communities.
- Support the planning, installation and commissioning of new HPC systems
- Provide day-to-day system administration support
- Configuration management of HPC platform hardware and software
- Monitor the performance and the reliability of HPC systems
- Development of in-house tools to support HPC platform administration
- Maintain an awareness of current and future developments in the HPC field
- Overseas travel to attend conferences and collaborative meetings
To be considered for this opportunity, you'll need the following:
- Degree in a scientific or STEM discipline, equivalent NQF level 6 qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience of LINUX/UNIX operating systems
- Scripting skills (preferably Python and Bash)
- Awareness of computer security concepts
- Experience of first- and second-line user suppor
- Able to work independently and unsupervised, as well as part of a team
- Good communication skills
The following would be advantageous:
- Experience of HPC clustered computing
- Experience of parallel file systems
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert