Lead Qualification Engineer
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority, (UKAEA)
- UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire or Rotherham, Yorkshire
- £63,856 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
- Closing date
- 9 May 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Materials, Nuclear, Scientific, Research and Development
- Manufacturing, Nuclear Industry, Power
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Lead Qualification Engineer
Unit 2a Lanchester Way, Advanced Manufacturing Park, Catcliffe, Rotherham
Department: Fusion Technology - Technical Department
Salary: £63,856 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 6
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire or Rotherham, Yorkshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid. As we work towards our mission and goals, UKAEA has devised values (Innovative, Committed, Trusted and Collaborative) that capture the spirit of how we work.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced engineer to help to define for the first time entirely new qualification strategies and technologies for a rapidly developing new technology application. The Manufacturing Technology and Equipment Qualification (MTEQ) Group at UKAEA undertakes research and testing projects for the development and qualification of novel component manufacturing solutions, in support of Tokamak projects such as STEP, DEMO, ITER and others. This position is a key strategically important role to lead and champion the work in Fusion Technology Business Unit towards the qualification of manufactured components, prototypes, and assemblies for fusion. Key involvements will be the establishment of a Qualification Strategy and Qualification framework and to lead a new team in developing new methodologies and best practice in the testing and qualification of manufactured components for under the harsh environmental conditions associated with nuclear fusion.
As a Lead Qualification Engineer, you will have experience of leading teams and supervising other staff and experience in undertaking certification audits in the manufacturing industry. If you have excellent technical as well as interpersonal and presentation skills, with experience of communicating at all stakeholder and staff levels, then we would like to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with external parties such as European and international standards organisations and authorities, research laboratories, strategic customers or suppliers, professional networks, such that the position and expertise of UKAEA are recognised by external parties.
- Providing specialist/deep technical knowledge on compliance with the existing defined codes and standards associated with manufacturing in the nuclear industry.
- Initiating and guiding the development of appropriate testing and qualification methodologies and schedules. Recommending and taking a lead in the development of new fusion specific case studies, codes, standards and procedures which can subsequently be progressed, in conjunction with other stakeholders across UKAEA, the supply chain and regulatory authorities, into industry wide application.
- Maintaining regular interaction with the Office of the Chief Engineer, STEP Project Management and Project Leads, other groups both in the Fusion Technology Business Unit and other departments.
- Liaising with external qualification and certification bodies and regulatory authorities in achieving code compliance of manufactured components.
- Ensuring timely delivery of assigned projects within specification and informing and controlling project budgets.
- Recruiting and directly managing a skilled team of engineers and specialists to ensure that all areas (manufacturing, NDT/inspection, mechanical, electrical, C&I) are considered.
- Proven and extensive demonstrable experience in the field of validation, verification, certification, and qualification of engineering components, preferably with a recognised organisation working in the field of qualification.
- A comprehensive working knowledge of pressure vessel standards, welding standards, materials standards, and other applicable standards relevant to engineering component qualification / certification.
- Experience and familiarity with nuclear codes and standards (ASME, RCCM, etc).
- Experience with engineering / scientific project management, scheduling, delivery, and reporting.
- Degree or higher, in engineering, physics, technology or similar appropriate scientific field, preferably with Chartered status of a relevant institution.
- Experience working with qualification in high integrity / complex industry (e.g., nuclear, Petro-chemical, aerospace, etc).
- Experience with other relevant environmental factors such as vacuum, static and/or dynamic high strength electromagnetic fields, high temperatures and /or nuclear irradiation.
- Familiarity with material performance modelling, probabilistic qualification and/or digital twin techniques.
- Previous experience on ASME / ASTM / ISO / BSI standards committees.
- Good working knowledge of structural and thermal engineering, solid mechanics, and engineering materials.
What we offer
Our comprehensive benefits package includes a vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive, an Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, Flexible working options including family friendly policies, Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service, wide range of career development opportunities, outstanding defined benefit pension scheme; Corporate bonus scheme and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities and women. The Executive Team with support from our ‘Equality, Diversity and Inclusion’ (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting EDI and taking steps to increase the diversity of our people through reinforcing best practice in recruitment and selection, and revaluating approaches where it is clear we can remove barriers to success.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
Note for applicants who are applying for employment with UKAEA either from outside the United Kingdom or who have spent time outside the United Kingdom in the last five years. Please visit the UK Government website. If the country you are resident in or have resided in is not listed on this website or that the UK Government is not aware of how to obtain a criminal records check from that state then we are unable to process your application.
Do you want to help shape the future of the world's energy? If so, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy is the place to be and we can offer a range of career opportunities. These include scientific and engineering roles, as well as technical and administrative positions supporting our research programme.
We have professionally accredited training schemes for graduate engineers and apprentices, and strong links with universities around the UK for PhD placements, as well as job vacancies for various positions when they occur, working in a friendly international environment.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert