Freight-forwarding Specialist with customs and tax expertise
- Geneva, Switzerland
- Closing date
- 27 Apr 2023
- Business & Finance, Manufacturing & Production, Procurement, Project Engineering, Other
- Industrial, Manufacturing, Rail, Sciences, Transport
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have experience with complex freight forwarding projects, customs rules & taxation of a large organization? Do you have a keen sense of customer service and enjoy building relationship with colleagues and external administration & collaborators? Join CERN and rise to the challenge of coordination supply chain execution activities to build and maintain the accelerators & experiments of the world’s largest particle physics laboratory. Take part!
Within the SCE department (https://sce-dep.web.cern.ch/), the Services & Supply Chain (SSC) group provides CERN's community with high standard campus experience and optimal supply chain execution by offering rationalized, efficient, and transparent services associated to campus and supply chain execution. More information is available here: https://sce-dep.web.cern.ch/ssc-mandate
The Logistics (LS) section provides CERN’s community optimal logistics services associated to goods/material inbound and outbound flows such as shipping (external transport management, import/export documentation, customs & tax advisory), goods reception, internal distribution, removals, mail, and storage (accelerator equipment and special waste).
As a freight-forwarding specialist with customs and tax expertise, you will coordinate tailor-made transport projects (ocean freight, airfreight, road) requested by CERN’s technical and scientific community or associated scientific institutes around the world. You will collaborate with internal services such as procurement and legal in addition to several external administrations mainly in Switzerland and France (customs, Secrétariat d'Etat à l'économie - SECO). You will also provide advice to CERN’s community regarding customs and tax questions. It will result to the following tasks:
- Study, design, plan, procure (call for tender) and execute complex transports in coordination with internal and external stakeholders;
- Respond to various requests concerning customs, tax (ex: CERN transport in & out including triangular shipment) and export regulations;
- Establish and manage export permits with SECO. Control exports falling in this scope (ex: dual uses);
- Cooperate proactively with Swiss and French customs to update and simplify procedures, implement new regulations, and streamline processes.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of tax specialist, customs, logistics, supply chain or a related field.
The experience required for this post entails:
- Demonstrated experience in freight-forwarding of complex projects for large organizations;
- Proven experience establishing relationships with customs, tax and export authorities.
- Freight forwarding
- Knowledge of Tax Law: and policies
- Knowledge of customs, VAT and taxes
- Customer service
- Project management
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer Proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Managing Self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information
- Achieving Results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.04.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SCE-SSC-LS-2023-35-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Logistics Support Officer
Imagine taking part in the largest scientific experiment in the world. CERN needs more than physicists and engineers – if you’re a student, a graduate, just starting your career or an experienced professional, Whatever your field of expertise, CERN could be your next opportunity: take part!
CERN is a truly unique organisation. A genuine collaboration between countries, universities and scientists, driven not by profit margins, but by a commitment to create and share knowledge.
People here are part of immense scientific discoveries, answering some of life’s most complex questions and pushing the boundaries of understanding. Experts from every field come here to share in this ambition and the nature of this collaborative, international community creates a genuine atmosphere of trust. People are free to work creatively and to trust in, and rely on, their colleagues across the organisation.
History’s being made here – and the excitement is tangible, inspiring, overwhelming at times. It is the only place in the world that you can do this work in this way.
CERN. Take part.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert