Air Safety Consultant
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Project Engineering, Safety
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
As a Safety Consultant in 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T), you'll play a vital role in shaping your projects. Working alongside talented colleagues in related disciplines, you'll provide technical analysis of designs and processes, and lead key presentations. Working closely with clients, you'll be trusted to develop and implement strategies to solve their most complex problems.
The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division of Atkins, part of SNC-Lavalin is at the leading edge of delivering Resilience Engineering & Sustainable Critical Systems exploiting Safety Engineering principles. We provide a range of independent and unbiased advice in Military Aviation Certification, Airworthiness and Safety Management.
Our clients are demanding support in a variety of both traditional and pioneering areas, which we provide holistic services, requiring a diverse range of experience with an understanding of Safety Engineering in the broadest sense.
The Safety Capability offer a range of independent and unbiased advice in engineering, technical and strategic advisory services to a wide breadth of markets and clients. We are seeking senior consultants with ideally a good understanding of the Defence market to provide guidance and direction in the development of aviation certification, airworthiness and safety management solutions for our clients, with ideally an understanding of Safety Critical Systems Engineering which considers both organisational and physical systems, ensuring people, equipment or the environment are not exposed to unnecessary harm.
We are seeking individuals who have self-motivation and enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and develop new skills and possess professional characteristics with ideally a good understanding of the Aerospace & Defence and wider Markets to provide guidance and direction in the development of safety management solutions for our clients, including:
- Support to Markets.
- Assurance of work undertaken by project teams.
- Providing a vision of future needs to support the development of capability.
- Provision of safety, airworthiness, technical evaluation and certification artefacts.
- Leadership of major safety management assignments for clients.
- You will be working with our clients to deliver aviation related projects; other safety related projects and will have the opportunity to inspire and be inspired by colleagues in offices across the UK and the globe.
What you can bring?
Essential criteria -
- Understanding and application of MAA Regulatory Publications (MRP).
- Understanding and application of the Military Air System Certification Process (MACP).
- Understanding and application of Defence Standard 00-970.
- Understanding and application of military aviation hazard/accident management.
- Understanding and application of at least one of the following tools (multiple desirable) - ASPIRE; (ii) Air System Loss Models; (iii) BowTies; (iv) GSN/CAE; and/or (v) HERMES.
- Development and generation of Safety Assessment Reports.
- Proven track record of developing Safety Management solutions at enterprise, platform or at system level.
- Experienced in developing proposals and providing technical assurance.
- Develop innovative Safety Management solutions to support operations.
- Build sustainable relationships with clients and develop future business opportunities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills commensurate with the role, including the preparation and presentation of reports to both internal and external clients.
- Knowledge of the Defence, Aerospace and wider markets, or major contractor’s experience.
Desirable criteria -
- Chartered/Incorporated Engineer or equivalent or working towards it.
- Working Knowledge of Industry and other Defence Standards such as Def Stan 00-056.
- Knowledge and awareness of their discipline and related disciplines and their developments across varied markets including Defence.
- Expertise in hazard and safety risk management.
- Experienced in development of Airworthiness Strategies / Safety Management Plans.
- Experience of conducting/supporting safety related techniques such as FHA, ZHA, FTA, ETA, FMECA and/or CBA.
- Knowledge and experience of working in wider markets and the ability to sell their related discipline capability to internal and external clients and across varied markets.
- Membership of UK, EU or US societies/working groups, etc.
- Production of articles, papers or conference presentations within their discipline.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert