Senior Software Verification Engineer (Static Code Analysis)
- Aldershot, Bristol
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Project Engineering, Safety
- Aerospace & Aviation, Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Solving the problems of tomorrow, today.
We work across a wide range of domains from military, energy to aerospace. We offer a wide range of projects to enable you to enhance and expand your career and fulfil your potential. We're proud to say our success is thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise, and knowledge.
When you join us, you'll be a part of a collaborative and diverse environment, where we embrace diversity and equal opportunities and the benefits that brings to our business.
We're passionate about what we do, and Atkins is a great place to work and develop a career. We believe in a work life balance and to maximise your potential we offer a wide range of flexible working options. These policies are here to maximise your quality of life, for you, your family and to maximise your potential.
Our Safety-Critical Software team specialises in consultancy, verification and testing of software and programmable hardware used in safety-critical and security critical digital systems. Due to increased demand from clients across Nuclear Power, Defence Avionics and Aerospace and other sectors, we are looking to recruit talented Senior Software Engineers to join our team to work on a number of high-profile and exciting projects with a focus on formal verification of safety critical software via the use of the MALPAS tool. We are currently examining development options to refresh MALPAS to aid formal verification and incorporate the latest formal verification proves to support current and future formal verification activities.
In this role you’ll work closely with our project technical leads and with the discipline leads for safety critical software in Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T). MALPAS is extensively used for formal verification of safety critical software in the nuclear industry and in particular for the Hinkley Point C (HPC) nuclear power plant. We are looking to expand the use of MALPAS into the defence and energy domains, for both safety and security.
You will be accountable for:
- Setting the technical strategy for enhancement and maintaining of formal verification/static code analysis tools.
- Understanding the current and future industry needs and drivers for the Static Code /Formal Verification of mission critical /safety critical software. This includes security and safety.
- Setting strategy for tool development in conjunction with the discipline lead.
- Implementation of updates to the MALPAS tool to meet current and future needs. This will include the full software development lifecycle of activities such as writing requirements, writing the design spec, writing the code, creating test plans, etc.
- Supporting the professional development of colleagues.
- Engaging with external bodies such as universities, and IET to keep Atkins up to date with developments in technology and to raise aware of Atkins’ capabilities and career opportunities.
- 2.1 or a 1st in Computer science, or maths, or a mathematically oriented engineering or science degree.
- Programming experience, ideally in more than one language.
- Ability to work in a variety of programming languages and takes a flexible approach to learning.
- Experience of leading programming roles in industry.
- Good communication skills.
- Interest in informal verification such as theorem proving or static analysis.
- Chartered or working your way towards this.
- Prior experience in informal verification such as theorem proving or static analysis.
- Experience in safety critical software roles.
- Competent reporting writing skills.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an effective programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s top management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert