Principal Avionics Systems Engineer
- Cheltenham, Bristol
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Safety, Systems, Research and Development
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
How about being part of the change that matters.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Due to an increase in demand from our clients in the Aerospace sector we are looking to expand our Avionics capability, growing our team with highly motivated and experienced individuals.
Join us as a Principal Avionics Systems Engineer in our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) business.
You will lead multidisciplinary teams, delivering cutting-edge consultancy into novel safety and security critical systems, supporting us grow the Avionics systems capability.
We have a variety of projects on all the time, ranging from niche consultancy projects to large, high-profile programmes. So, you'll always be able to keep yourself challenged.
You will provide avionics systems engineering consultancy at Principal level to our clients, who will be responsible for the development of high integrity avionics systems.
- Work with multiple client teams from the concept stage through to certification supporting and directing the development of the system artifacts at aircraft system and subsystem level. This includes systems planning, architecture definition, requirements definition and management through to requirement verification.
- Provide advice to clients on how to design and develop avionics systems, ensuring that they are meeting engineering standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support the development of the internal Avionics systems capability to meet current and future market demand.
- Support Win-work and bidding activities, providing technical expertise and managing commercial and technical risk.
What you can bring:
- Engineering Degree or Equivalent.
- Strong experience in systems engineering (10+ years) with background in safety-critical avionic systems development.
- Strong experience in leadership/management of systems teams (5+ years) throughout the systems engineering life cycle.
- Strong experience in developing avionic systems architectural and design solutions using model-based techniques.
- Strong experience in using ARP4754, ISO15288 and other system development processes and standards.
- Experience in creating system development plans and other system life cycle planning artifacts.
- Experience in developing and managing system requirements and usage of any associated tools.
- Experience working with project safety teams to help define and manage compliance to system safety requirements.
- Knowledge of and experience of Civil and/or Military regulatory certification, airworthiness and environmental requirements.
- Chartered engineer status.
- Detailed knowledge in one or more of the following avionics systems: Flight Control, Actuation Control, Engine/Motor Control, IMA, Electrical Power Distribution and Electrical Energy storage control, ground systems and test rigs.
- Experience in providing independent advice, support and guidance on avionics systems development.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: MBSE, system related human factors analyses, application of systems engineering to new and novel technologies.
- Knowledge of ARP4761 and/or IEC 61508 safety standards.
- Experience in working within either civil or military design organisation environment.
- Experience and involvement in recognised industry working groups and/or standards development organisations.
Behaviours and leadership skills:
- Ability to lead teams effectively with outstanding, technical and domain expertise.
- Ability to promote a positive client relationship building on trust and ensure best customer value.
- Ability to engage and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to develop pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, thinking creatively. “outside of the box” where required.
- Excellent communication skills in English language, both written and verbal.
- Strong work ethic and level of professionalism.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert