Senior and Principal Nuclear Safety Engineer
- Warrington, Silchester, Glasgow
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Mechanical, Nuclear, Safety
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Nuclear Industry, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio, while also continuing to grow our services in the Defence sector in the UK with several major programmes of work already in flight or about to commence. As part of a larger SNC Lavalin global business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our clients and also for international travel, and in particular in our adjacent civil nuclear sector that is involved in the design of the new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK.
If you are ready to be a Senior Defence Nuclear Safety Assurance Engineer, then we would love you to join our team. We are after people who thrive on making a strong personal contribution and working collaboratively with colleagues and clients to create solutions that enhance the reputations of themselves, our business and our clients. We want you to be someone who thrives in a growing business, and we will provide you the environment to progress your career as the business expands.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
We will want you to play an effective role in a range of exciting major defence related programmes across the UK and be involved with all aspects of Safety Assurance support. This includes new build facilities, life extension and upgrades for existing facilities and equipment and decommissioning support also and therefore covers the full lifecycle of these major programmes in the defence nuclear sector.
Working within our ADS&T business, you will be in a unique position of being able to offer full concept through to detailed design capability across some fantastic, inspirational projects. From our office we are involved in developing innovative, practical solutions for our clients across the UK and further afield.
With existing relationships with the major operators in the defence sector, we offer a stimulating variety of work, within a team which is rapidly developing to meet the challenge of defence nuclear.
Whilst your office base will be in Bristol, Aldershot, Glasgow, flexibility in work location is a must – from time to time our clients do call on our team to deliver work from their sites.
The role will entail providing safety assurance support during the design, construction, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities. You will support our client in managing nuclear safety and ensuring compliance with the Site Licence Conditions and will typically provide technical leadership for:
- Hazard/fault identification studies, HAZOP, FMEA for example.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Hazard Assessments.
- Radiological Hazard Assessments.
- Probabilistic Safety Assessments.
- Safety report production.
- Support to Engineering Substantiation activities.
- Development and review of Safety management arrangements.
- Producing nuclear technology technical reports.
- Managing safety assurance activities and leading safety assurance teams.
Other key aspects of the role will include mentoring others in a technical capacity, assisting in the production of bids and proposals, and implementing and contributing to safety initiatives. You will also liaise with operators, designers and clients, building a strong relationship with them.
What you can bring?
- Someone who is looking to make the next step in their career and to join a team that will provide all the opportunities for further progression that come with being part of a growing business. You will be hungry to grow your knowledge and experience and someone who thrives in a stretching but supportive environment.
- You will enjoy approaching things in different ways – you like making improvements and consider different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you’re presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
- You don’t just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in the team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to ‘get it’, and then watch them go on and achieve more.
- Building and developing relationships is a key part of this role. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that’s delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication, presentation and problem solving skills you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in physics, mechanical engineering, or closely related discipline (2:1 minimum).
- Working towards attaining Chartership status.
- Technical practitioner able to demonstrate good engineering judgement and with extensive experience in using fundamental engineering skills.
- Proven record of delivering technically challenging projects.
- Strong background in safety case production and hazard analysis, with extensive experience within the nuclear and defence industry.
- Able to produce and review/correct high-quality technical reports.
- Leadership of technical teams and development of more junior staff.
- Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality.
- Awareness of their own technical limitations and using the help and support of others to deliver.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert