Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Bristol, Glasgow
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Design, Mechanical, Safety
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Empowering projects in a complex world.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer in our 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T) business you will take the lead delivering a wide variety of projects, ranging from niche consultancy to large, high-profile programmes. Whether it's the challenge of aircraft electrification or designing critical equipment to support the UK's Continuous at Sea Deterrent, you can take pride in the impact your contribution will make on advancing our world.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer within ADS&T you will:
- Lead the creation of optimal design solutions to address client requirements.
- Produce substantiation calculations to demonstrate designs will perform as required.
- Author and update technical documents.
- Manage your projects' delivery against Time, Cost and Quality requirements.
- Support our QA process through review or checking colleagues’ work.
- Present your work to the client at formal reviews.
- Work within project teams, these may include placements at clients’ sites.
What you can bring?
- Degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Chartership with a relevant engineering institution or be progressing towards obtaining this.
- Sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied projects and domains.
- Creativity and experience across the design lifecycle including undertaking requirements capture, concept generation, development and down-selection.
- Familiarity with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry.
- Experience in the production of design documentation, including calculations; reports, specifications and requirements capture documents.
- Computer aided design experience.
- Experience of participating and presenting material at formal design reviews.
- Experience of leading teams to deliver mechanical engineering design projects.
You may also have –
- Experience in the design of high integrity mechanical handling equipment and operation in a safety critical environment.
- Finite Element Analysis (ABAQUS, LS-DYNA or similar).
- Experience of testing/commissioning equipment into service.
- Experience working in the nuclear or other safety critical industry.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert