Atkins is a member of the Aurora Consortium that is delivering engineering services to the MOD as the Engineering Delivery Partner (EDP). This has provided a step change in growth in delivering services to MOD clients such as Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S), Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA), Defence Nuclear Organisation (DNO) and Defence Digital (DD).
We are seeking an EDP Bid Solutions Architect (EBSA) to support the Lead Engineer to help translate customer requirements into solutions in line with product policy, budget, and timescale. This role is key for us to win work and to promote and expand the delivery of our mixed Services, as well as leveraging the Supply Chain, as we continue to grow over the coming years.
The EBSA will act as a bridge between the customer requirement and the solution proposed, drawing on intelligence and engaging with the customer wherever possible. The primary output of the EBSA is a coherent and blended engineering solution, working closely with the Bid Director, Bid Team, Technical Practices, and the Outsourcing/Capture Team. This is to maximize resource capability and capacity, and to broker an optimised solution for the Client (or Clients); all whilst ensuring technical risks to delivery are minimised.
We are looking to attract experienced candidates with a proven track-record in engineering delivery and consulting. Candidates should have a strong background in Safety and/or Systems Engineering. In addition, it is desirable to have a broad understanding of the other engineering disciplines that Atkins is providing through EDP and the Defence Supply Chain. This is a full-time role for which day-to-day direction and support will be provided by the Atkins EDP Outsourcing Lead.
The successful candidate will have recognised Engineering qualifications and have been engaged in delivery management and consulting roles with typically at least 10 years work experience gained in either private or public-sector organisations. Our EDP clients are challenged with complex stakeholder communities, supply chains and approvals processes so excellent client facing skills, as well as proven supply chain leadership and management experience, is essential. Above all, the candidate must be free-thinking, innovative, creative and possess a challenging nature to drive this role to provide the most cost effective yet compliant solutions. Furthermore, the ability to question and challenge component and building block inputs both internally and externally to drive costs lower, is critical to this role.
Specific Role Responsibilities:
Atkins aims to be supportive and flexible in our approach to assigning particular roles, balancing business and personal needs. You will work as a key part of the EDP Framework Team, with a primary focus on considering how best to integrate the capabilities and capacity across all of the Technical, Digital, Business/P3M Practices with those of the wider supply chain, being able to produce blended and seamless delivery solutions for our clients, whilst maximising both opportunity and growth.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Author/Lead bid responses.
- Take lead role in communicating with the Client, helping to shape and define requirements.
- Provide innovative/cost effective solutions by integrating supply chain capability and capacity as part of an overall blended delivery approach.
- Own Supplier key relationship to gain a greater insight into their capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Ensure adherence to bid schedule and bid process.
- Act as a leading bid team member, liaising seamlessly with the Market client/capture manager community, the Practices, and the Outsourcing Team.
- Contribute towards PBS, WBS, and overall Programme of Work.
- Work with the Technical Assurance (TA) Manager/Reviewer to ensure technical risks to delivery are adequately mitigated.
- Ensure seamless handover of PoW to nominated Project Technical Lead.
Requirement – Behavioural:
You will be representing Atkins to our clients, so it is key that our values and ways of working are demonstrated within the role:
- Team leadership - experience of successfully leading integrated teams to deliver project outputs and programme outcomes. A driven individual capable of motivating staff to meet deadlines.
- Team-work – the ability to work cooperatively with others and provide help where required.
- Possession of strong interpersonal skills and ability to build trusted relationships.
- Communication – high emotional intelligence - listens and questions effectively, concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels.
- Flexibility – able to adapt from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to assist the EDP client re: delivering key engineering outputs and work packages.
- Customer focus – delivers a high-level of customer service to our EDP and internal.
Requirement – Technical:
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline such as Engineering, Mathematics, Science, Software, or equivalent depth of experience in an engineering field.
- A recognised specialist in either Safety or Systems Engineering.
- Professionally recognised with an appropriate institution e.g., CEng.
- Have evidenced experience or qualifications in Supply Chain Management and leadership (e.g., IoSCM Level 5 or higher).
- Ability to understand, simplify and explain subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders.
- Demonstrable commercial and procurement experience.
- An awareness of engineering within the MOD’s procurement framework, Knowledge in Defence (KiD), and/or other MOD equivalents.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.