How about being part of the change that matters:
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Due to an increase in demand from our clients in the Aerospace and Defence sectors we are looking to expand our real time electronic systems capability, growing our team with highly motivated and experienced individuals.
Join us as a Principal Hardware Systems Engineer in our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) business.
You will lead multidisciplinary teams, delivering cutting-edge consultancy into novel safety and mission critical systems, supporting us grow the real time electronic systems capability.
We have a variety of projects on all the time, ranging from niche consultancy projects to large, high profile programmes: you'll always be able to keep yourself challenged.
You will provide real time systems engineering consultancy at Principal level to our clients, who will be responsible for the development of safety and mission critical systems to the end customer.
- Work with multiple client teams from the concept stage through to certification supporting and directing the development of the system HW artifacts: including development plans, requirements, design and verification artifacts.
- Provide advice to clients on how to design and develop real time HW systems, ensuring that they are meeting engineering standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support the development of the Atkins real time systems capability to meet current and future market demand.
- Support Win-work and bidding activities, providing technical expertise and managing commercial and technical risk.
What you can bring:
- Engineering Degree or Equivalent.
- Systems electronic hardware engineering (10+ years of experience) with background in high integrity electronic systems development, including:
- Digital HW engineering design (FPGAs/microcontrollers/microprocessors based).
- Electronic HW design at PCB level.
- Mixed signal and analog electronics design.
- Leadership/management of engineering teams (5+ years of experience) throughout the systems and hardware engineering life cycle.
- Development of real time systems HW architectures and design solutions, including flow down of systems requirements to HW requirements.
- Development of electronic HW verification plans and procedures, including development of test rig solutions.
- Knowledge of ARP 4754A, DO-254 or similar industry development assurance standards for high integrity HW systems.
- Chartered engineer status.
- Experience in managing suppliers along the HW development lifecycle.
- Experience in using electronic hardware design tools.
- Knowledge of Civil and/or Military regulatory certification, airworthiness and environmental requirements.
- Experience and involvement in recognised industry working groups and/or standards development organisations.
Behaviours and leadership skills:
- Ability to lead teams effectively with outstanding, technical and domain expertise.
- Ability to promote a positive client relationship building on trust and ensure best customer value.
- Ability to engage and influence a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to develop pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, thinking creatively. “outside of the box” where required.
- Excellent communication skills in English language, both written and verbal.
- Strong work ethic and level of professionalism.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.