Let's make our world safer, smarter, better.
You might know Atkins for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally. When it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Join us as a Senior Safety Critical Software Engineering Consultant in 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T). You will have a key role in a growing team that advises our clients on how to assure novel and safety critical software or programmable element intensive safety critical systems. You will be part of some of the largest, most high-profile infrastructure projects or deliver more local, niche consultancy projects.
You will have responsibility for assuring and supporting the development of safety critical systems and developing safety cases for novel and leading edge systems demonstrating compliance against relevant international or industry standards. The role will involve managing safe design and assurance activities across the lifecycle, including hazard identification, risk reduction and safety validation, thereby contributing to the safety case.
Specifically, you will be:
- Carrying out Safety Assessment throughout the full lifecycle on software or programmable element intensive safety critical systems.
- Developing Functional Safety strategies across multiple domains and applications.
- Developing and assure safety critical systems.
- Acting as a technical specialist within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Liaising with customs, suppliers and safety authorities to ensure stakeholder objectives are correctly set and achieved.
- Building positive and trustworthy working relationships, both internally and externally.
What You Can Bring?
- Science, system, software engineering or mathematical degree, or relevant equivalent experience.
- Chartered or able to gain chartership with a relevant institution (e.g. IET, BCS).
- Demonstrable safety consultancy experience in a regulated domain such as defence, nuclear, oil and gas or transportation.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering high quality output including technical reports.
- Self-motivated and proactive.
- Good communication, interpersonal and team working skills.
- Commitment to: building a safety culture, innovation, integrity and collaboration.
- Experience of working with systems and software engineering processes, techniques or languages such as ADA, C, VHDL, C++, JAVA.
- Experience and knowledge of applying at least two of the following safety standards: IEC 61508, 62061, 61511, Def STAN 00-055 / 00-056, ARP 4754A, DO-178C or DO-254.
- Able to lead safety assurance of systems within regulated domains.
- Able to develop pragmatic solutions to difficult problems paying attention to details without losing sight of the overall goals, objectives and product/technology constraints.
"Would also consider applicants willing to be based at other UK Atkins sites"
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.