The ATKINS team provides leading- edge consultancy and research into novel safety and security critical systems. Due to an increase long-term demand from clients in the Aerospace as well as Nuclear Power and Rail, Defence and Automotive sectors we are looking for highly motivated and aspirational individuals to join our rapidly expanding team.
The role is to provide system safety consultancy at Principal consultant level to Atkins clients, who will be responsible for the development high integrity avionics systems. Atkins provides a service to our clients to provide advice on how to develop and verify such systems to ensure that they are meeting engineering standards and regulatory requirements.
The successful candidate will be:
- Highly Experienced systems safety engineer with strong background in Civil and Military aerospace avionic systems development.
- A Recognised expert in aerospace safety case development ideally aircraft level as well as system level.
The successful candidate will also be able to -
- Work with multiple client customers.
- Work with client teams from the concept stage through to certification supporting and directing the development of the project safety case artifacts at aircraft and subsystem level. This should include System function breakdown, Functional Hazard Assessments, Aircraft/System safety assessments, Fault Tree analysis or similar analyses together with supporting safety analyses such as particular risks and zonal analyses.
Experience and Skills:
- Experience using ARP4761 and ARP4754 on avionics projects.
- Experience using other system safety development standards such as "IEC61508".
- Experience in the development of reliability prediction and development of Failure Modes and Effects analyses.
- Experience with safety related human factors analyses.
- Experience of system Bit and Monitoring development and associated coverage analyses.
- Experience in the Development and management of system requirements.
- Knowledge of both SW and HW design assurance processes and their input to the safety case.
- Strong knowledge of and experience of Civil and Military regulatory certification, airworthiness and environmental requirements.
- Strong systems engineering background particularly in the area of system architecture development and requirements management.
- Experience in providing independent advice, support and guidance in a Aerospace.
- Experience in other safety critical sectors will be desirable.
- Experience in developing pragmatic and novel solutions to complex problems, with an ability to “think outside of the box” where required.
- Experience in working within either civil or military design organisation environment will be desirable.
- Experience and Involvement in recognised industry working groups and/or standards development organisations will be desirable.
The successful candidate will:
- Have least 10 years of relevant industry experience in system safety case development.
- Be a leader with outstanding, technical and domain expertise.
- Able to promote a positive client relationship building on trust and ensure best customer value.
- Have strong problem-solving skills.
- Have excellent communication skills in English language, both written and verbal, with colleagues and clients.
- Be able to work effectively both individually and as part of a team.
- Have a strong work ethic and level of professionalism.
- Be organised and be able to think creatively.
- The candidate will ideally be degree qualified and a chartered engineer.
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required. Secondments to other Atkins or SNC-Lavalin offices in the UK or overseas may be available.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.