Together we'll outmanoeuvre complexity.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise, and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally. We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Join us as a Principal or Senior Systems Engineering Consultant in Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T). You'll lead teams that use Systems Thinking to analyse, assess and develop ways to mitigate engineering risks, including safety, environmental and cyber threats. We have a huge variety of projects, ranging from niche consultancy projects to large, high-profile programmes. So, you'll always be able to keep yourself challenged.
- Delivering identified engineering outputs within time, cost, and quality constraints as part of an engineering service to a client.
- Draft and implement strategies to achieve successful client decision milestones.
- Provide consultancy to client project and engineering managers.
- Fulfil a senior role within a client’s own delivery team.
- Managing multi-party and multidisciplinary teams to execute engineering plans.
- Development of engineering documentation, e.g., Management Plans, Requirement Strategies, Acceptance Plans, Architectural Definitions.
- Engage Subject Matter Experts to capture requirements, risks, or solution options.
- Conduct technical analysis and make recommendations.
- Engage with wider industry to understand and shape potential solutions.
- Proactively identify opportunities and contribute to ADS&T growth.
- Deliver analysis reports to identify key risks and shortfalls.
- Participate in or lead design reviews.
- Implement quality assurance to satisfy both corporate and clients.
- Achieve client acceptance across a range of engineering deliverables.
What can you bring?
- Degree qualified (Level 6 or above) in a relevant discipline such as engineering, mathematics, science, software, or equivalent depth of experience in an engineering field.
- Professionally recognised with an appropriate institution e.g., CEng, CSEP.
A commensurate level of senior experience in any of these areas -
- Working on integration of complex systems, including military civilian platforms (submarines, aircraft and ships), civilian aircraft systems and advanced power and energy systems.
- Applying systems engineering processes (e.g., ISO 15288:2015) across the lifecycle.
- Managing projects and teams within different development methods.
- Understanding of different tools and techniques applied to engineering to capture requirements and develop solution designs, e.g., Model Based Systems Engineering.
- Knowledge of modelling languages and architecture frameworks, e.g., UML/SysML, Archimate, TOGAF, MODAF.
- Understanding of engineering within the MOD’s procurement framework, Knowledge in Defence (KiD).
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to build trusted relationships.
- Ability to understand, simplify and explain subject matter to non-engineers and senior stakeholders.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.