Senior Stress Engineer
- Bristol, Glasgow
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Design, Mechanical, Project Engineering
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Empowering projects in a complex world.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this is a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
As a Senior Stress Engineer in our 'Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology' (ADS&T) business you will take the lead delivering a wide variety of projects, ranging from niche consultancy to large, high-profile programmes. Whether it's the challenge of aircraft electrification or designing critical equipment to support the UK's Continuous at Sea Deterrent, you can take pride in the impact your contribution will make on advancing our world.
As a Senior Stress Engineer within ADS&T you will:
- Lead the delivery of structural analysis work to optimise new designs and substantiate the structural integrity of existing designs.
- Author, update and review structural analysis calculations and other technical documents.
- Manage project delivery against time, cost and quality requirements.
- Support our QA process through review or checking colleagues’ work.
- Present your work to senior stakeholders at formal reviews.
What you can bring:
- Degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline.
- Chartership with a relevant engineering institution or be progressing towards obtaining this.
- Sound understanding of mechanical engineering principles and their application to varied products and domains.
- Experience of static, dynamic, fatigue and damage tolerance assessments of structural items and assemblies.
- Familiarity with working to design codes and industry standards in aerospace, defence or other safety critical industries.
- Ability to develop structural analysis hand calculations from first principles.
- Experience of utilising finite element analysis tools to assess the structural integrity of components and assemblies.
- Experience of participating and presenting material at formal design reviews.
- Experience of leading teams to deliver structural analysis programmes.
You may also have –
- Experience working in the aerospace or other safety critical industry.
- Experience in the analysis of composite material structures.
- Experience of testing/commissioning equipment into service.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We value diversity and believe that everyone deserves to thrive, without exception. We have signed the MoD's "Women in Defence" and "Women in Aviation and Aerospace" charters. These pledges include providing opportunities for women to succeed at all levels. We're also committed to being a Military friendly employer and have been recognised with the Ministry of Defence's (MoD) Gold Employer Recognition Award.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a top global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join. We're also a Silver Rating holder in the Aerospace & Defence sector, as per the Financial Times rating of the UK’s leading management consultants.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies; it is the UK's 3rd largest engineering consultancy. As such, we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. The multidisciplinary nature of our work allows us to draw on expertise from across Atkins to deliver complex projects both in the UK and in support of our other businesses overseas.
The work is always challenging and evolving, but if you’re ready to take on a challenge, and assume technical, commercial and project responsibility to your full potential, then Atkins is a great place to further your career in engineering.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert