Software Engineer (Experienced)
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 27 May 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Software Engineer to join our growing telecommunications business unit. We deliver next generation cyber, communications and intelligence solutions for law enforcement. Our work helps law enforcement fight organised crime, counter terrorism and affects many “life at risk” situations daily - your role will have real impact.
What you could be doing for us:
At the forefront of our vision is BAE Systems’ latest release for data retention - DataRetain Cloud Edition. DataRetain Cloud Edition combines the flexibility of the public cloud environment with the security, control and separation of a traditional physical data retention solution.
Our small focussed teams work on some of the latest technologies that ingest millions of records per second into massively scalable data stores - these are true Big Data systems. You'll be contributing to systems design and development decisions affecting the integration of existing and future systems.
You will join agile development teams, practicing hybrid working in a relaxed, friendly but technically challenging area of the business. We generally meet in our Guildford office every two weeks but there is some flexibility in this. You will work within strongly customer focused teams where “DevOps culture” is an absolutely core part of the how we do engineering.
As this is a senior role, you will use your engineering experience to guide teams, particularly more junior personnel, supporting their development. BAE Systems DI has a strong history of promoting from within, meaning we can offer the opportunity to take your career to the next level - in an internationally recognised business.
Your day to day tasks will include:
- Full lifecycle software development in Java.
- Delivering high quality incremental software releases directly into the Cloud.
- Participating in large-scale system integrations, regular demos, training and business development activities.
- Implementing and improving CI/CD pipelines in Jenkins.
- Writing infrastructure-as-code in Typescript using CDK and CDKTF
- Ideally, you would have some demonstrable experience in the above (though in the case of the right candidate with the right aptitude we will be willing to train you up as long as you are experienced in Java).
What skills and experience are we looking for?
- You will need considerable previous experience of working as a professional software engineer using Java.
- Experienced in writing tests for existing and new code to ensure compatibility and stability
- Able to use different types of source control (preferably Git), be familiar with continuous integration, test-driven development and be prepared to use Agile development techniques to incrementally deliver working software.
- You will work well within small teams, taking ownership of and delivering high quality software - you should take pride in the software you produce.
Experience in some of the area listed below would be useful:
Industry experience of any of the following technologies/skills would be beneficial, but are not essential - we focus on aptitude and potential:
- AWS, Azure, Typescript, Elasticsearch, Docker
- Software Architecture (especially Microservices and Event-driven)
- Spring Boot, Apache Maven
- Big Data Platforms, Knowledge of telecoms
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and well being.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government security clearance at basic level prior to starting with us, progressing to SC level in the future. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert