BI Product Engineer (ETL Developer)
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Manufacturing & Production, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
BI Product Engineers operate, change and grow our BI capability that has either been developed, customized or configured to add value to the customer. This is a multi-functional role that works with a BI Product Team to deliver business value based on Agile practices such as Scrum and Kanban.
They will work as part of a DevOps team team that defines and resolves complex data collection and data integration issues ( i.e. ETL - Extract, Transform and Load design and development ) to make data and information available to decision makers, internal and external interfaces and real time decision procedures with operation systems and delivery channels.
BI Product Engineers will be involved in supporting users, defining new features and functionality and implementing change under the guidance of Solution Architects. BI Product Engineers will work in a highly collaborative, visible and measured environment and will stimulate experimentation, innovation and continuous improvement.
BI Product Engineers will have a deep understanding of ETL development and how it is configured for the business, they will live and breathe the Agile manifesto and will use processes, tools and culture to continuously improve what they do and how they work for the delight of the customer. Adding value everyday will be a key goal.
The BI Product Engineer will:
- Have accountability for developing, configuring & supporting all aspects of ETL development.
- Adhere to Standards and Legislation
- Provide product and service direction to the Product Management Team and implement these as part of a self-organising team
- Contribute to protecting the BI Estate from technical debt and process debt
- Designs ETL frameworks and standards for specific ETL programmes and projects.
- Identifies the required toolset (development and testing) for specific ETL programmes and projects.
- Designs, develops, tests and supports data collection, data integration and ETL applications to make information and data available to key client stakeholders and technical interfaces.
- Designs and implements the hardware environment required by ETL programmes and projects.
- Develops and tests the re-usable components of an ETL framework for specific ETL programmes and projects.
- Understands where the need for tight data controls arises to ensure seamless data flows around the organisation and to minimise future change.
- Models data requirements, data sources and data flows to bring order and structure to programmes of work.
- Defines how and where data is created, mastered and destroyed to ensure proper control over the lifecycle of corporate data assets.
- Understands how to add value to data - for example through data cleansing.
- Understands categories of products (and individual examples) that can be used to collect, integrate, store, visualise and govern data and metadata.
- Undertake data mapping design activities to determine how data is mapped from source to target data sources within individual ETL application components.
- Undertakes data analysis and data profiling activities to identify data quality issues that could impact the design of individual ETL application components.
- Designs the appropriate data models that are needed within ETL application components.
- Develops and tests individual ETL application components.
- Helps support complete ETL applications and frameworks.
- Identifies and manages reference data (internal and external).
- Understands data-related performance issues.
- Understands data services, data security issues, “privacy by design” and Information Assurance principles.
- Understands master data management patterns and can advise on the right choices for each client.
Product Engineer will also bring:
- Review establish and adhere to appropriate governance and configuration control
- Driving issue resolution and resolve underpinning problems
- Work with customers to introduce innovation and evolve our BI capability
- Have significant understanding a specific scope, functional capability or module and how this interfaces with the other components of the system.
- Have understanding of a secondary functional capability or module
- Work with suppliers, customer, team members and industry peers to continuously improve delivery
- Document technical business requirements /problems into format that business can understand
- A working foundation in process frameworks like ITIL, Prince2 and Agile with experience in executing these in a highly automotive, high velocity output and consistently changing operational environment
- Influence and advise on how the BI product should be built and supported
- Collaborative, team focussed and fun environment
- Imagination and experimentation
- A strong understanding and appreciation of the ‘consumer’ perspective - you’ll know what they expect from BI and what they’ll need even before they do. We are expecting an awareness of the changing pace and individual-centric design of BI in the market place.
- An eagerness to learn enough about ETL, BI and its roadmap
- You need to be able to see the end-to-end system, understand constraints and bottlenecks and be able to work out how process can be simplified, interactions can be automated and through mastery, how the system can become highly efficient in both delivery and support.
- There may be a little bit of an obsession when it comes to the configuration control, ergonomics and aesthetics, user experience and customer perception of our BI Estate. You need to set the standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Technology Requirements
The typical skills and technology required for this role include:
- Strong understanding of ETL & SQL development and how it works
- Knows how to build and support our Cognos estate
- Knows how to work in high performance teams and be results-orientated
- Knows how to focus on specific tasks and be determined to get them resolved on time to a high quality
- ETL & Report Development
- Data Modelling
- Strong Framework Modelling and Cube design
- Report development and visualisation
- Ergonomic and User-Centric Design
- Governance and Control
- Service Operations
- Product Management
- Follower of SOLID principles
- Strong in ETL Development using any enterprise ETL tools
- Microsoft SSIS (good to have but not mandatory)
- IBM Cognos Data Manager (good to have but not mandatory)
- Use of Kanban Boards or Software Lifecycle Management Tools
- Erwin or Enterprise Architect
- 5+yrs experience
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Functions
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and the business could not operate without all the dedicated work of our Functions teams. From Finance & Operations through Communications & Marketing, to HR and Site Operations and more, our Functions teams enable our divisions to implement ground-breaking digital transformations and crucial defence software.
As part of Functions, you will be supporting and partnering with our global business from the backline, being a strategic advisor within your specialist area, and ensuring the business runs smoothly and efficiently. We all have a role to play in defending our clients; and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert