BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence we develop world-class radio and data systems. We are launching a major new space programme, marrying our existing capabilities with new space technology. We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from graduate to CTO to deliver these exciting new capabilities. There are opportunities in all relevant engineering and non-engineering disciplines, both for those with space industry experience and those without. Many roles come with opportunities for remote / hybrid working, working in our offices in Guildford and Great Baddow only when required. We will provide you with personal development, CPD including support towards professional recognition, industry-leading benefits, and the opportunity to apply cutting-edge technology to interesting problems with the support of our highly-skilled engineering community. Come and join us for this exciting opportunity to shape and deliver world-class space technologies.
Role and Responsibilities
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is seeking a Technical / Solution Lead with experience in the space domain to join its Defence and Space Business Unit to lead the technical delivery across multiple space projects. As System Design Authority (SDA) you will be the solution owner for a fast-paced complex space programme. You will use your skills, experience and expertise to design and architect systems that solve the most interesting and complex technical challenges, leading teams of highly-skilled and motivated engineers at all levels of experience, to deliver them. You will work closely with and receive expert support from your technical experts and engineering leaders to achieve the best project outcomes. Your projects will cover all stages of the product lifecycle, from technical concepts and prototypes to new product development, build, test, delivery and deployment. You will develop and maintain key business relationships with internal and external customers, suppliers and external institutions to support new business, responding to new business opportunities and participating in the timely generation of high quality, well planned and innovative bids with an acceptable level of risk. You will maintain excellent awareness of developments and the state-of-the-art in relevant technology areas.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
• Experience of managing and developing technical teams, including work on multidisciplinary projects
• Strong foundational engineering background, with years of hand-on experience in a relevant technical discipline
• Either a degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Communications, Physics, Electronic/Electrical Engineering or a related discipline), or a strong track record of technical leadership in relevant industries
• Experience of working in the space sector delivering space systems and/or subsystems
• Knowledge and application of systems engineering processes and functions
• Ability to understand, influence and talk with credibility about areas of technology outside of own area of specific expertise
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all stakeholders, excellent written communication
• Knowledge of modern remote sensing technologies, radio systems and space payloads
• Knowledge and experience working with different types of satellite payload
• Knowledge of ECSS and other relevant space standards
• Working knowledge of relevant technical disciplines, e.g. one or more programming language, DSP/MATLAB, electronics engineering
• Member of a relevant professional body, preferably a Chartered Engineer or equivalent
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.