- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 31 May 2023
- Design, Systems, Research and Development
- Computing & IT, Defence, Software & Hardware, Cyber Security
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as Firmware Engineers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- Design and develop state-of-the-art FPGA designs for one of our software defined radio (SDR) solutions.
- Design and test Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms using MATLAB or similar
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing technical consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics with a 2:1 or 1st class degree. A Levels typically AA in Maths and Physics. PhD applicants also encouraged.
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless technology, embedded systems and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality FPGA designs
- Understanding of FPGA and SoC architectures
- 1+ year experience of FPGA development (eg VHDL).
- Understanding of radio communications
- Understanding of digital signal processing
- Development on Linux based systems
- Range of software development experience including MATLAB, C++, Python
- Understanding of digital and/or analogue hardware design with some hands-on laboratory experience of debug/set-to-work.
Successful candidates for this role will be required to go through UK Government security clearance prior to starting with us.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we believe that digital technology is the key to unlocking our customers’ advantage. By advancing digital technologies, we open doors to worlds of opportunities, together. We work across 6 main areas, Cyber, Defence, Delivery & Advisory, FinCrime, Intelligence and Space. Come visit us at the expo, or our website, to learn more about our opportunities.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert