At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic engineer looking to acquire experience working on RF high power sources for accelerators? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes.
As an engineer, you will be working within the Radiofrequency Group, MKS Section in charge of Modulators, Klystrons and high-gradient accelerating structures.
The SY-RF-MKS section provides the RF power generation necessary to feed the particle accelerators at CERN. We are responsible of the RF power system design and specification, procurement, installation and reliable operation for a large part of the CERN accelerators, and high-power RF test facilities. We also engage on R&D for novel power sources in collaboration with external partners.
As an RF engineer, you will:
- Supervise the operation, maintenance and consolidation of klystron-based power sources for the CERN accelerator complex;
- Define test procedures for the high power, high gradient RF infrastructures across the section;
- Participate in R&D on novel power sources specifically in the design, validation and tests of new prototypes;
- Prepare technical specifications and procurement documentation;
- Ensure the safety of the test facilities in close collaboration with the Safety team at CERN.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical or electronics engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with RF power generators;
- Experience in operating complex RF power systems;
- Experience with high voltage devices and pulse power engineering;
- Desired experience with tube-based RF power sources would be an advantage;
- Experience working on LLRF would be an advantage.
- Design and analysis of RF systems;
- Design, construction and testing of RF power generation components and systems;
- Operation and maintenance of RF components and systems;
- Analysis and optimization of accelerator performance;
- Selection and application of modular high-voltage power supplies.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 29.05.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SY-RF-MKS-2023-60-LD