Principal Engineer Civils
- Perth & Kinross, Perth, Scotland
- £51600 - £77400 per annum + Car Allowance & Bonus
- Closing date
- 8 Jun 2023
- Civil & Structural
- Job Type
About the role
Base Location: Flexible UK | We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSEN offices or depots around Scotland. Base Locations: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth
Salary: £Competitive + Car /Car Allowance + Performance-Related Bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As the Principal Engineer - Civils, you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications required for civil works associated with substation, e.g. substation buildings, bunds, trenches, etc and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects.
- As part of the Technical Authority review perform approval of civil aspects with regard to standardised substation construction.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority to verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to Project Engineering for scope of works, specification and supplier selection, to Asset Management regarding civil asset condition and to Operations regarding civil capability.
- Represent Transmission at industry body events such as ENA or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences, participate in supplier meetings, TO forums, etc. and lead on introduction of new technology for substation construction.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Civil Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience on an expert level in the design, specification, construction, operation and maintenance of civil infrastructure, preferably related to the energy sector.
- The ability to technically assess issues and/or problems and critically assess a range of technical solutions and a detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of British and European Standards related to civil infrastructure.
- Strong organisation and project management skills as well as interpersonal skills as the role interacts across broad areas of the business and at multiple levels.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert