Lead DevOps Engineer
- Reading, England, Berkshire
- £60203 - £69982 per annum
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Havant, Reading, Thatcham or Perth
Salary: £60,203 - £69,982 and a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The Lead DevOps role provides leadership and accountability for ongoing maintenance, release management and CI/CD developed service improvements for our core applications. They use their knowledge in a hands-on role to agree and document release schedules, setting up of pipelines, coordinating changes, releases and deployments in a complex technology landscape, managing integrated environments with high levels of automation.
SSE IT is building its Agile capability and continues to increase the proportion of its delivery utilising Agile methodology and tools. As a result, it is key to this role to have Agile experience and therefore be able to champion it across the business.
Roles and Responsibilities;
- Lead and govern the technical release processes required to implement changes to our core applications whilst assuring the quality of deliverables.
- Responsible for agreeing and documenting the Release Schedule for each Application, working with the support teams and wider stakeholders.
- Setting up and maintenance of the DevOps repositories, branching strategies, with version control.
- Setting up and maintenance of Pipelines, supporting CI/CD and with assurance and governance of application releases.
- Assisting the development teams, debugging and troubleshooting application issues, quality checking code.
Your skillset for this role will include;
- Excellent technical / Core Azure skills: App Services and Containerisation, APIM, Azure AD and OAUTH, Management Identity (User and System), App Insights & Azure Monitor, App Gateway, Certificate management / TLS offloading / Mutual TLS, B2B & B2C Identity Management, DevOps pipelines.
- Strong experience with a previous development background with managing multiple release streams across multiple applications utilising: YAML, SSDT - SQL Server Deployment Tool and DevOps security tools.
- Strong skills with scripting languages: PowerShell /AZ CLI, Terraform / IaC resource deployment, data warehousing ETL using ADF with secure coding practices required at all times.
- A systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving with demonstrable leadership, great communication skills, in particular: presenting, collaborating and partnering with stakeholders.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert