Smart Grid Development Engineer
- Northern Powergrid
- Castleford or Newcastle (Shiremoor)
- Competitive salary of £45,943 - £62,828 (depending on experience)
- Closing date
- 18 Jun 2023
- Design, Electrical, Project Engineering, Systems, Research and Development
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
Do you want to help power your career and be at the heart of an evolving energy industry by joining us as a Smart Grid Development Engineer?
The Smart Grid Development Team’s vision is to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy enhancements to create a smarter, more flexible network that is central to the region’s journey to net zero.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector, and distribution networks will be at the heart of achieving net zero. As a Smart Grid Development Engineer, you will play an integral role in using big data to develop our design policies and optimise use of the network.
What’s the package?
Along with a competitive salary of £45,943 - £62,828 (depending on experience), we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme • 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Technical Incentive Scheme - up to £2,000 per annum
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
What will you do?
• Develop and deliver technical innovation projects
• Implement innovation project solutions from both our own projects and those from other network operators
• Produce engineering policy and supporting guidance in line with our obligations and commitments
• Disseminate policy in an effective way to allow users to implement network solutions
• Identify opportunities for Northern Powergrid to deliver more efficient outputs for customers
• Represent Northern Powergrid’s interests at national forums for the development of policy & guidance on network design
Key Competencies, skills and attributes
• Excellent technical knowledge, which combined with your broader knowledge of the wider industry will ensure our network develops and supports decarbonisation in a smarter, more flexible way
• Team working is essential in this role to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy. You will be part of a high-performing team, leading change
• Problem solving is a must when faced with the scale and pace of change facing us, not to mention the number of exciting challenges and level of innovation required
• Confident decision-making skills
• Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry Essential qualifications and experience
• Level 5 or 6 (HND, degree, or equivalent) in STEM subject, or a level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) with several years of relevant experience
• Understanding of power system design and operation • Knowledge of electrical distribution equipment
• Full UK driving licence
Desirable qualifications and experience
• Experience of data analysis techniques
• Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer status
If you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now*; click on the 'Apply on website' button to apply and we will be in touch. You are encouraged to apply early, as the closing date may be brought forward.
Key dates are below:
Closing date for applications: 18 June 2023
Response from our team: w/c 26 June 2023
Assessments and interviews: w/c 3 July 2023
Visit our website via the 'Apply on website' button to find out more about this and other career opportunities. * We will consider your application for all roles available, so you only need a single application.
Applicants are considered on the basis of their suitability for the post irrespective of sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, race, age or disability, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010.
Powering our Lives...
We're the people who manage the electricity network that powers everyday life for more than 8 million people across 3.9 million homes and businesses in the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire.
Put simply, we make sure the electricity you buy from your chosen energy supplier gets to you safely, whenever you need it. And, if your power ever gets interrupted, for whatever reason, be it severe weather or emergency maintenance, we’ll be there to fix it - giving 100% day and night, rain and shine, 24/7, 365 days a year.
Delivering safe, reliable electricity is at the heart of what we do and we're proud to play an essential role in powering everyday life for the customers, homes, businesses and economies we serve.
In an evolving energy industry, we also have a key role in creating and managing future energy systems that increasingly interact with our customers and smart and low carbon technologies. That why we're innovating and investing today so we're ready for the demands of tomorrow.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert