Do you want to help power your career and be at the heart of an evolving energy industry by joining us as a Design Team Manager?
The vision of our power systems design teams is to design the network and new customer connections to directly enable our customers’ and the region’s journey to net zero and wider economic growth.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector; electricity distribution networks are at the heart of achieving net zero. As the manager within one of our power systems design teams, you will play an integral role in achieving this.
What’s the package?
Along with a competitive salary of £58,410 - £68,716 (depending on experience), we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Technical Incentive Scheme – up to £2,000 per annum
• Bonus scheme of up to 10% of salary
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
What will you do?
• Manage a team of between 10 and 20 designers to deliver power system design solutions for the electricity distribution network across multiple sites
• Mentor staff in order to produce well rounded professional engineers
• Assist designers with technical solutions for unusual scenarios and ensure that decisions are in line with policy and regulatory requirements
• Work with other business units to develop/implement smart solutions for our customers
• Represent Northern Powergrid on industry working groups
• Identify and implement improvements to our engineering policy & business processes, working closely with all business units
Key Competencies, skills and attributes
• Ability to lead a high-performing team delivering for our customers; setting and upholding high standards of performance and behaviour
• Team working is essential in this role to develop and implement new solutions and power system policy
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry • Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
• Confident decision-making skills
• Excellent technical knowledge, which combined with your broader knowledge of the wider industry will ensure our network develops and supports decarbonisation in a smarter, more flexible way
• Problem solving is a must when faced with the scale and pace of change facing us, not to mention the number of exciting challenges and level of innovation required
• Embrace change in order to assist with the development of policies and processes for the continuing changes experienced within the connections business.
Essential qualifications and experience
• Level 5 or 6 (HND, degree, or equivalent) in STEM subject, or a level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) with several years of relevant experience
• Understanding of power system design and operation
• Knowledge of electrical distribution equipment
• Full UK driving licence Desirable qualifications and experience
• Previous management experience
• Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer status
If you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now*; click on the 'Apply on website' button to apply and we will be in touch. You are encouraged to apply early, as the closing date may be brought forward.
Key dates are below:
Closing date for applications: 18 June 2023
Response from our team: w/c 26 June 2023
Assessments and interviews: w/c 3 July 2023
Visit our website via the 'Apply on website' button to find out more about this and other career opportunities. * We will consider your application for all roles available, so you only need a single application.
Applicants are considered on the basis of their suitability for the post irrespective of sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, race, age or disability, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010