Power Systems Design Engineer / Lead Power Systems Design Engineer
- Northern Powergrid
- Multiple locations
- Closing date
- 18 Jun 2023
- Design, Project Engineering, Systems
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
- Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer
Do you want to help power your career and be at the heart of an evolving energy industry as a Design Engineer or Lead Design Engineer?
The vision of our power systems design teams is to design the network and new customer connections to directly enable our customers’ and the region’s journey to net zero and wider economic growth.
This is an exciting opportunity at a time of significant and fascinating change within the energy sector with electricity distribution networks at the heart of achieving net zero. As a Power Systems Design Engineer, you will play an integral role in achieving this.
We have opportunities for power systems engineers to design at all voltages, from LV to 132,000V. We also have opportunities for lead power systems engineers to support our teams designing from complex 11,000V up to 132,000V projects.
What’s the package?
Design engineer: £45,943 - £62,828
Lead design engineer: £62,828 - £73,237
Along with a competitive salary, we also offer great benefits such as:
• Enrolment into our double-matched pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (rising with service) plus bank holidays
• Car allowance / company car scheme
• Payment of professional fees
• Technical Incentive Scheme – up to £2,000 per annum
• Excellent opportunities for career growth
What will you do?
• Produce electrical power systems design work for customer driven or network driven schemes against standard deadlines
• Preparation of the supporting documentation seeking authorisation of projects
• Provide design support to other departments within the Engineering Directorate engaged in the Strategic Development of the network
• Complete the post acceptance elements of customer driven work, including direct negotiation with developers’ representatives
• Deal directly with representatives of stakeholders
• Assist with Policy Development
Key Competencies, skills and attributes
• Problem solving is a must when faced with the scale and pace of change facing us, not to mention the number of exciting challenges and level of innovation required
• Team working is essential in this role to develop and implement new solutions. You will be part of a high-performing team, delivering for our customers
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders from across the business and wider industry
• Confident decision-making skills
• Excellent technical knowledge, which combined with your broader knowledge of the wider industry will ensure our network develops and supports decarbonisation in a smarter, more flexible way
• Deliver quality outputs to required deadlines
Essential qualifications and experience
• Level 5 or 6 (HND, degree, or equivalent) in a STEM subject, or a level 4 qualification (e.g. HNC) with several years of relevant experience
• Understanding of power system design and operation
• Knowledge of electrical distribution equipment
• Full UK driving licence Desirable qualifications and experience
• You could have several years of experience as a power systems design engineer, or you could be looking for a new career / career change – we can provide you with the necessary training
• Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer status is desirable.
If you think you’re right for this fantastic career or any of the others available right now*; click on the 'Apply on website' button to apply and we will be in touch. You are encouraged to apply early, as the closing date may be brought forward.
Key dates are below:
Closing date for applications: 18 June 2023
Response from our team: w/c 26 June 2023
Assessments and interviews: w/c 3 July 2023
Visit our website via the 'Apply on website' button to find out more about this and other career opportunities. * We will consider your application for all roles available, so you only need a single application.
Applicants are considered on the basis of their suitability for the post irrespective of sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender re-assignment, race, age or disability, in accordance with the Equality Act 2010.
Powering our Lives...
We're the people who manage the electricity network that powers everyday life for more than 8 million people across 3.9 million homes and businesses in the North East, Yorkshire and northern Lincolnshire.
Put simply, we make sure the electricity you buy from your chosen energy supplier gets to you safely, whenever you need it. And, if your power ever gets interrupted, for whatever reason, be it severe weather or emergency maintenance, we’ll be there to fix it - giving 100% day and night, rain and shine, 24/7, 365 days a year.
Delivering safe, reliable electricity is at the heart of what we do and we're proud to play an essential role in powering everyday life for the customers, homes, businesses and economies we serve.
In an evolving energy industry, we also have a key role in creating and managing future energy systems that increasingly interact with our customers and smart and low carbon technologies. That why we're innovating and investing today so we're ready for the demands of tomorrow.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert