Renewables Onshore Emerging Technologies Manager
- Scotland, Glasgow
- £61100 - £91700 per annum + Car allowance & Performance related bonus
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Electrical, Mechanical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role.
Base Location: Flexible UK & Ireland, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £61,100 - £91,700 / €86,000 - €129,000 depending on skills and experience + car / car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As SSE Renewables continues to expand and diversify its generation portfolio it is important that all new value enhancing technology is identified, evaluated and where appropriate, implemented to both reduce energy cost and improve renewables penetration.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering, you'll be accountable for leading a team of technology engineers, with a central focus on tracking technology, identifying opportunities and managing the implementation of either low Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) or new to SSE technology.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include;
- Providing technical leadership and development of the Onshore Technology Team, ensuring it is appropriately resourced, trained and experienced to efficiently deliver its workload.
- Conceiving, proposing, and justifying early-stage projects, both internally and with external partners, to increase the attractiveness of SSER's development and operational projects.
- Enhance the Technology Team's relationships across SSER, encouraging collaboration to understand how the team can help achieve better commercial and technical results, and deliver on commitments.
- Playing a key role in academic and industrial partner research and development activities.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree qualification in a relevant engineering subject or equivalent experience in a similar role, with a passion for renewable energy and delivering a low carbon future.
- A finger on the pulse of emerging technology developments and market activities across the industry, with the ability to identify and pursue opportunities for SSE.
- Demonstrable experience as an Engineering leader, highly motivated and committed in organising, building and inspiring your team to deliver high quality specialist work.
- Having experience of working with low TRL technologies and new engineering/technology concepts, and developing those from concept, through optioneering to detailed design stage is desirable.
- Commercial knowledge of the energy market, with the ability to undertake cost benefit analysis and build business cases around new technology, or value adding technology improvement, and how these will benefit the Renewables portfolio.
- Strong collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills, enabling you to call on specialist resource from across the company when required to ensure delivery.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on 01738 342002.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert