SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
Base Location: Havant, Reading, Perth
Salary: £Competitive + car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
We are embedding agility in our ways of working, building capability for a digital SSE of the future, meeting the needs of our customers in a new way.
The Head of Cloud Engineering Services will lead our cloud platform engineering function, the primary objective is to drive transformation of the Infrastructure platform teams, toolchain and capabilities to more agile DevOps practices. Provide leadership and vision in the delivery of SSE's cloud services. The role is responsible and accountable for ensuring that SSE's cloud services portfolio meets its customer's requirements, regulatory and security policies.
You will have expert level experience in the delivery of infrastructure solutions and SDLC software delivery techniques and principles that will drive a shift to Cloud Native Architecture and design.
In this critical leadership role providing technical strategy and direction for the firm, you are responsible for spearheading the approach to multi-cloud and ensuring the platform design meets, security, organisational and financial aspects of adopting and implementing cloud.
As a team player, you will work closely with a team of strategists, architects, subject matter experts, to craft technical solutions that accelerate our business while reducing risk.
- Develop and lead the delivery of both the Cloud Engineering and DevOps strategy, involving the creation of roadmap, introduction of processes, metrics, and systems to ensure success of the function.
- Identify continuous improvements that maintain and improve cloud infrastructure.
- Designing and implementing code pipelines for continuous deployments.
- Lead a team of Platform and DevOps engineers. Responsible for hiring, personal development, progression, and performance.
- Provide input into annual budgets, commercial forecasting, and financial analysis of potential architectural solutions.
- Design and implement cloud solutions that are highly available, resilient and scalable.
- Interface between Technology & Product and central Service and Infrastructure team, build strong relationships in the divisions and regions.
- Maintain third party relationships with suppliers of products and services.
- Balance strong approach to security and governance with continuous feature delivery.
- Review practices to maintain consistence while staying up to date with latest industry trends.
- Support lean and agile practices that focus on delivering change little and often.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Expert level experience building infrastructure and platform solutions in the Cloud that meet enterprise demands around resilience, serviceability, and availability.
- In-depth understanding of IT products, services, and systems.
- A demonstrable understanding of SSE's business areas, the Energy industry and IT, gained from experience as well as through professional experience or networking.
- A strong understanding of the team's area(s) of responsibility with proven experience.
- Strong commercial acumen with business domain expertise.
- Demonstrable working experience of agile process and principles.
- Ability to work in environments that are undergoing change, working in an iterative and adaptive manner.
- Ability to provide leadership, coaching and mentoring across the engineering function.
- Experience and ability to prioritise activities based on value and adapt processes to optimise product delivery.
- Financial acumen and the ability to demonstrate value or return on investment from strategy.
- Working experience with defining and prioritising a portfolio of work.
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
- Extensive knowledge of cloud technologies including working across multiple cloud hyperscalers i.e., Azure, GCP or AWS.
- Strong knowledge of cloud architecture principles and Cloud Native Application design, including the use of container technology & orchestration - Kubernetes.
- Leadership and development of Software Supply toolchain strategy covering CI/CD, security assurance and inline policy controls.
- Awareness and knowledge of regulatory standards or capabilities i.e., PCI or GDPR and how these effect cloud infrastructure and operations.
- Knowledgeable in information security principles and standards i.e., NIST and their application to Cloud and On-Premise infrastructure.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.