Renewables - Senior Transport & Installation Engineer
- England, Berkshire, Reading / Scotland, Perth & Kinross, Perth / Glasgow, Scotland
- Car Allowance + Performance-Related Bonus
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Civil & Structural, Control & Instrumentation, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: Competitive dependant upon experience + Car / Car Allowance + Performance-Related Bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Transportation and Installation Engineering Manager and working within the SSE Renewables Offshore Engineering business responsible for leading the specialist support across a range of offshore wind projects at various stages of development from early stage feasibility through to offshore construction activities.
You will be responsible for leading the delivery of all marine design development activities required on a multi-£billion Offshore Wind Projects and for the coordination and delivery of all T&I marine activities during construction.
Key Accountabilities Will Include:
- Responsible for development and assessment of project T&I engineering, including evaluation of technical proposals for port facilities, offshore contractors, and the associated specialist equipment and installation methodologies.
- Oversight of offshore installation campaign planning ensuring robust understanding of schedule, environmental conditions, definition of operable limits, seakeeping & operability assessments, and management of any marine logistics modelling.
- Responsible for ensuring the consistent delivery of SSER's (T&I) engineering requirements across the portfolio of projects at all stages of development maturity to ensure definition of safe systems of work, optimised and cost competitive design including the implementation of innovative solutions.
- Manage key T&I project risks and design issues, ensuring acceptable mitigation of risks and effective communication to management on these matters.
- Act as project T&I team interface with substructure design team, T&I contractors, specialist contractors and tool designers, Marine Warranty Surveyor, and project's operational teams on site and offshore.
What do I need?
We are looking for a Chartered or near Chartered Engineer educated to degree level, who has technical knowledge and experience within Transport & Installation engineering.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Demonstrable experience working in a similar role, at project execution stage, ideally in offshore wind or O&G. Transferable experience from other industries will be considered for this role.
- A can-do proactive attitude with a proven history of interfacing and collaborating across multi-discipline teams to support decision making and due diligence process and achieve outcomes.
- A degree qualification in relevant engineering subject or equivalent experience in a similar role with a passion for renewable energy and knowledge of relevant governances and international offshore wind bid and auction processes.
- The capability to challenge the status quo and drive continuous improvement.
- Demonstrable understanding of engineering processes and experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams (Engineering Packages) together with a common purpose from early stage to delivery.
- Ability to travel internationally and on-site as and when required.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 275199
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert