Agile Business Portfolio Manager
- Reading, England, Berkshire
- £61100 - £91700 per annum + Car Allowance & Bonus
- Closing date
- 31 May 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £61,100 - £91,700 + Car Allowance + Performance-Related Bonus and a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: 12 Month Fixed Term Contract | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
The purpose of the Agile Business Portfolio Manager role is to lead and manage the Agile Project Management Office (PMO) in order to ensure the successful delivery of projects through the use of Agile methodologies. This includes developing and implementing Agile practices, providing guidance and coaching to project teams, and driving collaboration and communication across the organization. The Agile Business Portfolio Manager will also be responsible for identifying and addressing any obstacles to the successful implementation of Agile, as well as monitoring and reporting on the performance of projects and the PMO as a whole, including but not limited to looking at change governance across the business, processes, roles & responsibilities, standards, processes, tooling, prioritisation. You will work in partnership with the Leadership Team to ensure the changes are delivered on time, to quality and budget and to monitor, evaluate and propose ways in which to better facilitate the cross-portfolio delivery with the business The role requires a deep understanding of PMOS, Agile methodologies, as well as strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
1. Portfolio Governance
- Manage & review existing Governance structure and change to enable Agile governance for the entire portfolio of works. Enable identification of constraints and pinch points ahead of time - Investigating and recommending the best business structure and resourcing levels for the near, medium and long term for business resource and governance. Establish clear escalation paths to enable quick resolution of blockers.
-Preparation of governance material, papers and presentations, for internal approvals to BEST Board (and any equivalent for Airtricity Peace replacement), BE and Airtricity transformation Boards and Group Executive Committee.
- Automate monthly Portfolio reports for governance forums, the ECS ExCo and central IT covering programme delivery, risks, issues and finance.
- Working with the BE and Airtricity Change Teams to transform the Portfolio demand process to an end to end value stream including new ways of working, resource planning and forecasting. Working with BE and Airtricity LTs to manage constraints and minimise pinch points ahead of time.
- Participating in the Interim and Target Operating Model for Business Energy, Airtricity & Customer Solutions and assisting with the execution of the agreed Target Operating model.
- Enable a clear view of all portfolio initiative OKR's and Benefits by way of introducing new processes and tooling so informed decision making can be made Executive sponsors where required.
- Establish a single source of truth for all portfolio level data, including but not limited to risks, issues, dependencies, roadmaps, resourcing, benefits, finances.
2. Portfolio Risk
Responsible for understanding, documenting and monitoring all constraints, dependencies and material risks across projects in the portfolio. All risks to the delivery of portfolio of work should also be considered and raised with the programme teams and BEST steering group to mitigate the risk to the plan and ultimately delivery. Implementing new processes, standards, and tooling to better manage Risk across all of BE and Airtricity projects.
3. Strategy Execution
Incorporating Customer ExCo strategy execution plans and best practice initiatives into the portfolio planning ("Dual Transformation"). Delivering PMO Changes as per ECS Strategy, including Risk and PPM tooling rollout during the year and creation of standardised templates for all PMO functional reporting.
4. Performance Culture, Development and Continuous Improvement/ Innovation
Actively develop and lead a performance culture which ensures that all current objectives and targets are met but also motivates staff to continuously review performance, improve processes, innovate and develop capabilities to exceed targets. Requirement to consider and represent the perspective of customers, employees and business requirements to support the decision making.
5. Safety, Health and Environment (SHE)
Champion safety culture ensuring that all staff, 3rd party contractors constructively challenge and praise appropriate behaviours, to ensure that all staff and contractors effectively understand and comply with company rules, procedures relating to safety, health and environment and meet performance targets. Actively promote the day to day safety environment and culture by way of proactive management adhering to current health and safety legislation. Monitor and control standards by ensuring that appropriate checks and audits are carried out.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Extensive IT experience in multiple industries preferable regulated environments (utilities, telecoms etc)
- Solid experience managing software delivery /digital transformation projects in an agile environment.
- Leadership and line management experience in a senior project management role (Preferably an Agile PMO).
- Experience of working in a client partnership environment and multiple suppliers.
- Solid Agile delivery background - Experience in Scrum, SAFE, Kanban and Project Management, Agile Coaching
- Experience managing mid-size teams to transform organization (preferably a PMO)
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
Whats in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert