Renewables - CAD Survey Engineer
- Glasgow, Scotland / Perth & Kinross, Scotland / Highlands, Scotland, Inverness
- performance-related bonus
- Closing date
- 30 May 2023
- Civil & Structural, Control & Instrumentation, Electrical, Project Engineering
- Power, Renewables
- Job Type
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible Scotland with a preference that your base location will either be Perth or Glasgow.
Salary: £Competitive depending on skills and experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the GIS and Drawings Manager, you'll be required to produce and contribute towards the design of 2D and 3D engineering drawings for a multi-billion-pound portfolio of Wind Farms and Hydro in the feasibility, development, and delivery stages, whilst also contributing to the continual maintenance of our operational fleet.
You'll also be required to provide detailed surveys for SSE Renewables, which will be provided to Supervising Engineers to determine continued safe operation, or the requirement for investigation/maintenance works.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include;
- Preparing and designing of 2D and 3D Engineering Drawings using Autocad, Revit, Inventor, Navisworks and Civil 3D. To provide accurate and quality information to inform key projects and influence operational decisions across the companys wind farm and hydro portfolio, prioritising requests and building relationships and effective communications with clients and stakeholders.
- Preparing reinforcement detailing, structural detailing, and calculations
- Surveying SSE Renewables Dams under the Reservoir Act, and processing survey results to record potential movements with the ability to spot errors or trends.
- Producing 2D and 3D surveys to aid production of drawings and/or advise engineering teams within the SSE Renewables of key features, movement, or levels.
- The production of point cloud, topographical and laser surveys used for construction of new Windfarms and Power Stations.
- 3D model creation of Wind Farms and Hydro infrastructure, with the intent to incorporate into existing systems such as GIS, BIM models and point cloud surveys to assist in the creation of a digital twin.
- Provide support within the Drawings Team, and mentor other CAD Engineers/Analysts as required.
Regular travel and overnight stays will be required throughout Scotland as part of this role. You should also be prepared to work in remote outdoor environments, where some working at height and within confined spaces will be necessary.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A minimum of HND level qualification in an appropriate engineering discipline and ideally, but not essential, working towards professional accreditation or already has an ICE EngTech professional membership.
- Previous experience and good technical knowledge within a CAD Engineering role.
- A high level of competency in carrying out lateral movement EDM, 3D position EDM Precise levelling, topographic, point cloud, laser and reflector-less surveying.
- Commercial awareness with first class IT Skills, and be proficient in 2D & 3D drafting using AutoCAD, Revit, Civil 3D, Map 3D or equivalent drawing packages.
- An understanding of multi-disciplinary engineering drawing principles and engineering methods will also be necessary.
As travel will be involved with this role, a full and current driving license is essential.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Pamela on
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert