BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
The Digital Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future. We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cybercrime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes. Role purpose
Support Engineers are involved in all aspects required to support business applications, devices, and/or infrastructure services. This includes performing ITIL processes such as Incident, Problem and Change Management as well as conducting IT Operations in line with agreed Service Levels.
Support Engineers are responsible for ensuring the reliability, performance and availability of services to consumers of the service thereby enabling the value of the service to be realized, including:
Common Role Accountabilities
- Managing the receipt, triage and prioritisation of customer issues and request - resolving or allocating to next level technical teams for resolution as required.
- Preforms basic engineering activities relating to in scope devices and services - such as upgrades, assistance with configuration requests, site maintenance visits, etc. - referring complex technical matters to SMEs and product teams as required.
- Ensures best practice ITIL principles are followed in the receipt and management of Incident, Request, Problem and Change Management
- Interact with diverse and geographically distributed technical staff and people leaders
- Contribute to the execution, management and governance of key service management processes including; demand, availability, capacity, service catalogue, service level, service continuity, asset and configuration, change and problem, incident, event and service request, and disaster recovery
Support Engineers may perform many of the ITIL processes including:
- Service Level Management
- Incident Management
- Problem Management
- Change Management
- Routine IT Operations
- Release and Deployment Management
- Event Management
- Request Fulfilment
- Access Management
Support Engineers develop a strong business and technical skill set which will include:
- Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders and client staff
- Achieving a high level of Customer Satisfaction, and enacting recovery action plans if service delivery is not meeting expectations
- Effective communication with clients and across organisational boundaries - from engineers through to senior managers - getting things done, make things happen
- Management of 3rd parties, ensuring SLA commitments are Commercially backed off and that services received are at the required levels of performance and quality
- Understanding of the business context and how the service supports the delivery of business value
- Deep technical understanding of the supported applications, devices, or infrastructure services; including how they are built, used, configured, and maintained. This includes in scope BAE specific applications, devices, and hardware; as well as common IT related applications and hardware, such as servers and laptops used in provision of BAE services.
- Understanding of Project Management methodologies such as Prince2, LCM, Agile, etc.
- Directly engaging customers and third party support organisations in remediation of issues
Support Engineers develop a strong personal skill set which will include
Job Responsibilities Specific
- accept and exercise personal responsibility
- work reliably and effectively without close supervision
- accept responsibility for work of self and others
- accept, allocate and supervise testing and other tasks
- developing and applying interpersonal skills
- use oral, written and electronic methods for the communication of technical information
- work effectively with colleagues, both within the immediate team and more widely
- demonstrating a commitment to the obligations of the wider engineering function
- act in accordance with the codes of conduct of the company and the engineering profession
- ensure that proper consideration is given to issues of health and safety and product safety in the test process
- ensure that proper consideration is given to environmental impact within the test process
- ensure that skills are reviewed and maintained through a process of CPD
- increasingly support and mentor others in their development
Desired skills and Experience
- Operating in a virtual Technical Service Desk type environment to capture and triage customer requests and issues - utilising the Enterprise Service Management Platform/System (ESMP)
- Ensure Business / Customer impacts are properly captured and used to validate incident priorities
- Ensuring all customer and service interactions are captured and reflected in the ESMP
- Ensuring the ESMP adequately reflect progress to remediation/resolution - including use of secondary systems and ensuring data is synchronised across platforms.
- Ensuring timely and consistent follow-up and progression to resolution (including escalation) occurs - irrespective of teams presently auctioning the request.
- Planning and conducting upgrades for devices - either directly or utilising Engineering staff. Liaising with the customer to ensure a best in class upgrade experience
- Conducting quarterly site inspection visits (as applicable/required, and dependant on security rating for access) - either in person, or coordinating with Engineering staff
- Performing level 2 and 3 remediation on services as required (within scope of skills/experience) and engaging next level support as required to achieve remediation of customer issues and requests - maintaining ownership of an issue until resolution.
- Updating support laptops to the latest operating system at client sites as required
- Support the maintenance and operation of the BAE LAB environments- including planning of use and scheduling of project related activity of the LAB
- Support the planning and co-ordinating remediation of Critical and High Severity security vulnerabilities - including notifications/bulletins; and liaison with Engineering team (onshore and offshore) to remediate.
- Ensure effective operational delivery, such that the services are provided in a consistent and reliable manner to the organisation and its customers within agreed service levels
- Maintaining operational methods, procedures and facilities in assigned area of responsibility and assisting in regular reviews for effectiveness and efficiency
- Resolving or escalating problems. Implementing service improvement actions and programmes
- Understanding of best practice delivery methodologies and toolsets
- Experience in managing customer services using the ITIL Service Management Framework
- Experience in use and management of Service Management tools such as ServiceNow highly desirable
- Previous Cross Domain or Lawful Intercept exposure highly desirable
- University Degree or equivalent is desirable
- ITIL Service Management Qualification or equivalent is desirable - ITIL Foundations essential
- Experience in use and management of the following areas is also desirable
- Unix Servers and operating systems
- Oracle services
- CISCO, Juniper services and devices
- VOIP services and devices
- End User Compute (laptops)
- Cross Domain or Lawful Intercept related applications and hardware
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- A minimum NV1 Australian security clearance is required
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.