SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK offices, which includes but is not limited to:- Perth, Reading or Havant.
Salary: £53,681 - £62,405 + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are seeking an accomplished and versatile individual to join our Emerging Technologies Team in the role of Senior Developer. Our team is engaged in innovative research and development, constructing working prototypes and proof-of-concepts utilising cutting-edge technologies. The ideal candidate will possess not only software development expertise but also excellent problem-solving and requirement elicitation skills, as well as the ability to promote the potential business benefits of new technologies.
As a Senior team member, you will take a proactive approach to ensure team efficiency, while using your experience to coach, mentor and guide more junior members in their professional development. We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds and identities who possess a unique blend of experience, creativity, and expertise to contribute to our team's success.
- Evaluate the feasibility, capabilities, process, and operability of new and existing technologies, techniques, and products. Identify innovative opportunities across all business units at SSE. Make recommendations for the adoption or rejection of research items with reasoning as appropriate.
- Develop demos and proof-of-concepts swiftly using agile design, development, and testing frameworks and DevSecOps practices that are appropriate.
- Contribute significantly to defining and documenting technical delivery policies, processes, standards, and documentation templates for the team and the wider SSE IT community.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with important business contacts and external vendors.
- Serve as a point of contact for advice, guidance, and technical input in your area, providing knowledge transfers, one-to-one workshops, and mentoring to Emerging Technology team members and other teams, as needed.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Demonstrated practical experience in a similar role, including technical skills across a diverse range of technologies, systems, and applications.
- Strong analytical, design, and development skills with the ability to comprehend and interpret technical specifications.
- Sufficient functional and business awareness to lead and support fellow developers effectively, regardless of their gender or background.
- The ability to take responsibility for problems and requests, and effectively prioritize individual and team work in a high-pressure environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills for interactions with individuals at all levels of the organization, regardless of gender or background.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 275 846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.