Aerothermal Analysis Engineers
- Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE)
- England, Berkshire / Hampshire, England, Basingstoke
- £35720 - £46000 per annum
- Closing date
- 9 Jun 2023
- Aerospace & Aeronautical, Control & Instrumentation, Design, Materials, Nuclear
- Aerospace & Aviation, Defence, Nuclear Industry, Power, Software & Hardware
- Job Type
Are you an Analysis Engineer with a primary interest in either high-speed aerodynamics or high-temperature materials?
We are currently looking to recruit an Analysis Engineer with a primary interest in either high-speed aerodynamics or high-temperature materials to join the rapidly growing Aerothermal team and contribute to the analysis of hypersonic re-entry vehicles. The role will involve conducting analysis, supporting test programmes and code development, supporting other team-members, and liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
Role: Aerothermal Analysis Engineers
Location: Reading /Basingstoke area
Package: £35,720 - £46,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing date: 9th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
Successful Candidates will be responsible for:
- Analysing high-speed vehicles for flight, aerodynamic, aerothermal, and material response performance using a suite of bespoke tools ranging from high fidelity CFD methods to fast-running, empirically based codes
- Understanding the performance of and develop models for high-temperature ablative materials
- Influencing, supporting and analysing flight and ground test programmes
- Evaluating the on-going development of bespoke analysis tools, and to contribute to validation and verification efforts
- Supporting the technical development of other team members
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders, including customers, contractors, peers, and the wider analysis team, including face-to-face meetings, writing technical reports, and delivering presentations
What will you need to be considered?
- A relevant technical degree
- Knowledge and experience in at least one of the following areas:
High speed (supersonic/ hypersonic) aerodynamic analysis/ CFD
High-temperature material response
Flight and/or re-entry dynamics
Toolset development and V&V
- Ability to solve problems in making computational models and methods work.
- Sound interpersonal skills, with an ability to interact with staff at all levels and with other technical disciplines.
- Ability to produce and present clear and concise reports and presentations for customers, peers, programme management, and external meetings.
- An ability to work both individually and as a member of a team to tight deadlines.
- To be meticulous and methodical.
- To be highly self-motivated.
- Experience of working on Linux (or Unix) and HPCs.
- Experience of coding/scripting (e.g. Fortran, Python, bash) would be beneficial.
- Membership of an engineering institution is preferable.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role and be willing and able to travel within the UK and overseas as required.
We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to join us in our work at the forefront of nuclear defence engineering, science and technology.
To work at AWE is to play a valuable part in keeping our country safe and secure.
Working at AWE gives you access to exceptional technologies, facilities and projects no ordinary company can provide – and the support of world-class professionals at every stage of your career.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert