Antenna Design Engineer
- Closing date
- 31 May 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Systems
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.
What we can offer you:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Possible relocation available
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Join the Seeker and Datalink Systems team as an Antenna Designer - RF (Radio Frequency) within and work on the development of antennas from Active Electronically Scanned Arrays (AESA) to electrically small and low RCS antennas. This is a complex and exciting area of antenna technology development, used for the next generation of MBDA products.
We need you to have experience in antenna design including computer modelling using HFSS, test and measurement and experience in the post-processing of data using MATLAB.
Your role will involve:
- Detailed design of novel antennas for multi-mode seekers based on AESA and wideband passive sensors, exploiting the latest development in meta-materials, additive layer manufacturing and high impedance laminates
- Developing sub-system solutions to support higher level product developments considering constraints such as limited space and harsh operating environments
- Electromagnetic modelling in HFSS, complex simulations of antenna arrays, and post-processing data using MATLAB
- Overseeing the transition of development hardware into production
- Working cross-functionally with RF Engineers, Seeker Systems teams, EO & IR Sensors teams among others
What we're looking for
- Antenna design experience
- Electromagnetic simulation experience (using tools like HFSS or CST Studio)
- Knowledge of microwave frequencies (ideally UHF and frequencies in excess of X-band)
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience
- While not essential, it would be beneficial if you had experience of Simulink, and hands on experience in the lab environment.
Here's what's in it for you
- You'll be exposed to complex and technologically advanced products at the forefront of industry development
- Involvement at various stages of seeker development from concept stage through to hardware design and manufacture
- Opportunity to have a real influence on the development of products for our customers
Join a great team!
We're a multi-disciplined team focussed on achieving complex designs to demanding timescales, ultimately providing our customers with a product that meets their needs. This includes a range of experience and skills, benefitting from a regular intake of graduates and apprentices right through to supportive technical experts.
We understand that flexibility benefits our people, our teams and our business; wherever possible we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert