- up to £40,000
- Closing date
- 19 Jun 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
Salary: Up to £40,000 depending on experience
MBDA may be able to offer a relocation package for this role.
What we can offer you:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and much more...
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working; typically 2 to 3 days per week on site, depending on the project.
The opportunity: Functional Architect
We are looking for Functional Design Engineer to join a fast-paced project in the early stages of design development, maturing the functional design of key elements of a surface and air launched Anti-ship and Deep-strike Weapon System.
The Weapon System behaviour has been divided into a set of functional domains. Work within a functional domain aims to gradually decompose the top level behaviour of a domain, driven by customer needs, into individual functions that can be allocated to equipment and provided to the design team as sets of requirements for design.
Roles are available across several Functional domains, and cover multiple aspects including:
- Requirements, Verification and Validation
- Responsible for maturing a subset of TRSs, leading on writing functional and performance requirements and responsible for ensuring other sections are completed by appropriate parties.
- Performing functional analysis to decompose functional requirements into lower-level functions.
- Lead and/or support the develop of the domain proving plans with support from the relevant domain stakeholders.
- Will be responsible for/heavily involved in generating the Design Verification Plan
- Functional Design and Architecture
- Technically co-ordinate & drive activities across elements of the Design Domain to ensure coherent & mature embodiment of the required system-level behaviour to time, quality & cost. This will involve working across functions and departments to ensure a viable design.
- Work with the other Functional Design Domains to understand, challenge and negotiate the boundaries and interactions guided by the Functional Modelling Architect who will help to ensure coherency.
- Perform functional analysis to decompose functional requirements into lower-level functions, using MBSE as the core method (e.g. DOORS and Rhapsody).
- Risk Management
- Manage the Domain-level Technical and Programme Risks & Opportunities. Risk management conducted using SysFMEA approach.
- Trade Study Management
- Identify, scope and conduct trade studies to mature understanding of required behaviour/performance and support requirement maturation. Work closely with the performance team to develop any modelling required.
- Customer Relations
- Potential to attend customer working groups as required, generate required presentation material and present to both UK and Fr customers.
- Planning and Management
- Monitor status of work, via JIRA, against the overall Functional Design plan and highlight impact on overall domain should changes/delay occur.
- Identify and prioritise work within the domain and justify that to functional design lead for sprint backlog sessions to ensure coherence with high level plan.
- Potential scope to line manage individuals.
What we're looking for from you:
- Ability to develop requirements collaboratively with partners.
- Awareness of Model Based Systems Engineering.
- While not essential, experience of Rhapsody and DOORS tools would be beneficial.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to interact both internally and externally with customers, technical specialists, equipment teams and senior management.
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert