Location(s): UK, Europe & Africa : UK : London-CS || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Coventry-CS || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Gloucester || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Guildford || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Leeds || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Manchester || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Milton Keynes-CS
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
We are recruiting for additional Technical Leads to join an existing project for a Central Government client.
This role is mainly remote with some travel to client site in London and Leeds.
Candidates will be expected to:
- Take significant personal responsibility for the delivery of the project/product commitments and/or performance;
- Monitor and report on the progress of development projects, communicating technical risks and dependencies effectively;
- Oversee the development cycle and ensuring outputs are developed to specification and the required quality standard, including documenting and evidencing this where required;
- Be the ambassador and team advocate of good technical practice;
- Be comfortable taking calculated risks to push the envelope for what is possible;
- Mentor the team in the application of engineering techniques (for example in software development: unit testing, CI/CD, TDD and static analysis etc.);
- Consistently apply company policies, procedures and standards, and promotes these to the team;
- Review the performance of development team members, identifying training needs and supporting career managers to provide guidance;
- Guide the technical coherence of the solution against team designs and plans;
- Take a lead on establishing good estimates for any work that is being undertaken;
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops; training, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
Other team leadership accountabilities:
- Build a team of professionals with appropriate skills, attitudes and motivation;
- Create an inclusive, empowering and physiologically safe space for engineers to work;
- Manage the team - which may be a group of managers themselves;
- Motivate the team - create physiological safety;
- Takes a view on the performance of team members;
- Identify any training needs of team members;
- Nurture and guide the technical ability of the team members;
- Provide input into the performance reviews of any team member;
- Provide career guidance to the team members.
On this specific project, the Technical Lead will be required to:
• Create LLDs/repeatable design patterns for the team to code from, deriving these from HLDs provided by the architect
• Show technical leadership, support and development of Developers and DevOps engineers within teams
• Carry out estimation of engineering work in backlog as it is refined from high level epics into sprints
• Main coding and quality standards across the team
• Keep track of technical versions and support status (EoL, etc.).
• Work with Product Managers to define and prioritise technical debt
• Manage team technical risks and issues management
Experience in the majority of the following is desirable:
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- AWS Lambda
- Awareness of CI/CD and IaC concepts and technology
- IaC technology (Terraform)
- Deep understanding of CI/CD concepts and processes
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.