AWE is recruiting for Safety Engineers - Nuclear Warhead
Inquisitive and curious? Often find yourself asking "What if…?"? A degree, or equivalent experience, in a technical field? Experience in Electrical, Mechanical, Systems, Process, Chemical or Safety engineering? Worked with explosives, nuclear material, or in other high consequence regulated industries?
If so, do you fancy joining our team of nuclear safety engineers?
AWE is looking for individuals at varying stages of their careers to join our friendly and supportive team of nuclear safety engineers.
We offer excellent development and progression opportunities (e.g. training up to MSc level if desired).
Our team manage the continued safety of the UK nuclear deterrent. You will play a key role in supporting national security, completing technical safety assessments relating to the warhead design.
Location - Reading area (Office based)
Salary - £35,720 - £60,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing date - 12th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration (optional)
What will you be responsible & accountable for?
Writing technical assessments and reports at a system, component and material level, relating to the warhead design
Managing delivery to time and quality
The organisation of evidence into coherent, concise safety submissions to the customer and regulator
Applying analysis techniques, tools and methods at all stages of the design lifecycle
Providing guidance to the wider engineering and production teams
Working collaboratively with a wide array of stakeholders on system design and verification
Managing conflicting priorities and perspectives
Supporting wider business initiatives as required as part of the Outreach and Engineering Programme, i.e. through presentations to external conferences/symposia
Candidates must be willing to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role. Occasional international travel will be available as part of the role. On-site office working is expected due to access to classified information.