As an Instrumentation Engineer in the Engineering Trials Delivery Unit (ETDU), you will have the opportunity to lead the formulation of sensor application and data acquisition solutions to meet the customer's requirements for a diverse array of engineering trials. This is a really exciting opportunity undertake essential work that supports unique trials that take place at AWE, and will give the successful candidate a chance to develop their career within the team.
If you have any electrical, electronic or test engineering experience then we would love to hear from you!
Location: Reading area
Package: £26,500 - £35,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Allowances: £3,500 per annum
Closing Date: 06th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
Within this instrumentation engineering role, the successful candidate will be expected to undertake calibration, receipt, inspection of equipment, and routine maintenance activities to support operational trials that take place at AWE & at off-site locations.
Ideally, you will have technical supervisory experience, and be skilled in using data capture hardware and software. You should have knowledge of electronics or electrical test equipment and be able to show aptitude in fault-finding and problem solving. Attention to detail and the ability to work safely in High Hazard areas are essential.
What else will you be responsible for?
Assisting & liaising with customers to define their instrumentation requirements and ensure these are met
Designing, building, installing, and testing instrumentation systems
Maintaining high levels of housekeeping within the Calibration Laboratory and Electrical Workshop environment
Fault finding, problem solving, repairing, and maintaining existing systems
Working alongside team members on electrical hardware on a variety of voltage systems
Becoming a subject matter expert for the work that the team undertake, and providing technical support for other engineers in the team
What will you need to be considered?
A technical qualification in engineering, such as a HNC, HND or similar
Previous experience in industry in an electrical, electronic or test engineering role
Strong communication skills (written and oral)
Robust organisational and problem-solving skills
Good working knowledge of MS programmes
Training can be provided for candidates with some deficiencies in experience or knowledge
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.