MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £55,000
depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Hybrid working pattern
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
: Predominately office based with some option of Hybrid working.Who are we?
Image Processing UK plays a meaningful role in the development of MBDA products and technologies. We have a detailed understanding of the interaction between missile subsystems and a direct influence on significant design decisions. Our world-beating algorithms use imaging sensors to provide situational awareness and guide weapons to their target with maximum precision.
We are a firm supporter of equal opportunity for all, and proud to be a diverse engineering team. Image Processing UK is a cohesive and innovative department where the creativity and contributions of each individual have real value. As part of our team, you will benefit from an excellent working culture built on individual empowerment and mutual support.What's the opportunity?
As a Principal Engineer, you will be a essential team member at an exciting time of growth and opportunity. The algorithms that you will research, develop and evaluate will form part of the next generation of complex weapon systems.
The primary development environments used within the department are Matlab/Simulink and Python (including PyTorch Deep Learning libraries).
Security is a key consideration and as such, the majority of your work will be conducted on-site; a positive result of this is that our office remains a social and collaborative working environment. Nevertheless, there are opportunities for home working depending on the nature of the task.Who are we looking for?
- Preferably PhD qualified in a related area, either holding or completing the PhD
- A degree with strong mathematical content e.g. Mathematics, Engineering (e.g. Aeronautical, Mechanical, etc), Physics, Computer Science, or similar
- A keen curiosity about cutting-edge technologies and their applications
Although not essential, relevant experience in either Post-Doctoral or Industry would be highly beneficial.
Specific knowledge in any of the following areas is of benefit:
What's in it for you?
- Image Processing Algorithms: Segmentation, Filter Design, Noise Removal, Compression, Super Resolution
- Computer Vision Algorithms: Tracking, Optical Flow, Particle Filtering, Pose Estimation
- Deep Learning techniques: Detection, Classification, Tracking, Siamese Networks
- Inverse Problems / Computational Imaging: Sparse Coding, Compressive Sensing
- Machine Learning: Support Vector Machines, Neural Networks
- Domain Specific Signal Processing: Multi/Hyper-Spectral, RF, IR, SAR, STAP
- You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems, and gain in-depth knowledge of their design and functionality
- You will collaborate with other engineers from a broad range of subject areas
- You will be working on cutting-edge technological innovations
- You will have the opportunity to work within an international field that has strong links to MBDA sites in France and Germany that will provide the opportunity for European travel
- You will have the opportunity to attend workshops and conferences both nationally and internationally
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information. Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.