Operational Technology (OT) Technical Engineer - Transmission
- Perth & Kinross, Perth, Scotland
- £42691 - £55653 per annum
- Closing date
- 20 Jun 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
So join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Perth
Salary: £42,691 - £55,653 (depending on skills and experience) + range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
Working as part of the Technology Operations Centre (TOC), you will work closely with the TOC Support team helping improve proactive monitoring, eradicate repetitive incidents, and drive out failures in our diverse OT systems. This in-turn will improve the reliability of the SSEN Transmission assets, reducing costs and raising the efficiency of the business. You will be working with our key critical control systems, GE PowerOn, AVEVA PI and others.
As an OT Technical Engineer, youll play a significant part in the successful delivery of projects involving the commissioning and monitoring of many of the new cyber security systems that will be implemented in the RIIO-T2 period.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Work closely with the Transmission Control Centre to determine the causes of OT failures and drive improvement plans. This will include detailed analysis of failures/trends, based on weather, electrical load, repetitive failures, and other causes.
- Help introduce new technologies, help deliver detailed proof of concepts, research developing industry trends and recommend strategic improvements.
- You will be involved in the Cyber Security Transmission OT systems, by actively monitoring and reviewing the health and security of these systems. This will include participating in Cyber Response Activities (both actual and mock).
- Providing 24/7 support as part of a rota for critical national infrastructure.
What do I need?
- Degree level (or equivalent) qualification in a Computing, Engineering or Science based discipline (or demonstrable practical experience in one of these areas).
- Appreciation of the trends in cyber security and knowledge of communications architectures used to support OT system.
- Ideally you will have knowledge of AVEVA PI and GE PowerOn, although training will be provided.
- Passion for working with technology and people.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a small team is fundamental to this role.
- A valid UK driving license is desirable, although not essential, for this role.
Candidates for this role will be required to obtain vetting to SC level through UK Government. The criteria normally includes 5 years UK residency, further information can be found here: United Kingdom Security Vetting: Applicant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
About the Business
Transmission operates under licence as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc, responsible for the transmission of electricity in the north of Scotland. We own and maintain the 132kV, 275kV and 400kV electricity transmission network in our licence area. Our network extends over a quarter of the UK land mass across some of its most challenging terrain. It comprises substations, overhead lines on steel towers and wooden poles, underground cables, and the related control, monitoring and communications systems.
We're committed to ensuring we offer our people a great place to work, with competitive salary, contributory pension plan and benefits package. Click here to find out what else is on offer.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert