About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Leeds, Reading, Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Dublin
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 + up to 10% performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As Risk Engineer you'll be considered a subject matter expert in Process Safety risk and its potential impact on SHE and will champion a culture of process safety excellence within SSE Thermal.
Some of your main accountabilities will include;
- Supporting the delivery of project risk assessments and hazard studies, which will also involve supporting the delivery of asset related actions, providing guidance on SHE risk management, the tracking and delivery of associated risk controls, actions and process safety improvements.
- Contributing to the development and continual improvement of process safety and hazard management related management system components.
- Reviewing incidents, considering process safety, and provide an overview of the adequacy of incident investigations and ensure lessons learned are shared, as well as completing Root Cause Analysis.
- Providing subject matter expertise regarding process safety management, supporting the implementation & management of our suite of engineering and design standards.
- General Technical support as part of the Thermal Asset Management team.
- Chairing Project SHE reviews for our Decarbonised Thermal Projects and providing guidance in relation to the process safety risks subject to SHE assurance activities including reviewing actions.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree level qualification or equivalent, preferably in a process safety engineering discipline, or similar.
- Demonstrable experience in process safety, SHE, Hazard study facilitation, preferably in a power generation related industry.
- First-hand knowledge of a diverse range of plant and equipment, process safety concepts and principles, experience in Project Development with Carbon Capture or Hydrogen technologies would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of best engineering practices, relevant codes, standards and legislation.
- A solid understanding of risk assessment techniques in relation to process safety critical plant and processes.
- It would also be advantageous to be working towards, or hold, a professional chartered status in a process or engineering discipline.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on 01738 341147
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.