Location(s): UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Leeds
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.About the role
BAE Systems have been contracted to undertake the day to day operation of (and incremental improvement of) a dedicated Security Operations Centre (SOC) to support the defence of a major UK CNI organisation. The networks protected are predominantly hosted in Azure and AWS cloud platforms, with many hundred systems within these environments that must be protected. The customer is committed to development of this improved SOC to be a benchmark of best practice and excellence in reflection of the significant threat that the protected systems are subject to.
The SOC will be staffed by a blend of customer and BAE Systems staff, based in multiple locations, but with the day to day operations based from our Leeds office.
As SOC Support Engineer you will be responsible for planning and managing development, testing and implementation activities delivering new / updated rules and analytics for the SIEM and SOAR platforms. This includes the production of playbooks leading the Analytics and Rules (A&R) Teams prioritising and coordinating their activities across the various projects / releases.
The day-to-day focus of the Support Engineer is working with the Threat Intelligence and Operations Teams to scope and define the requirements for tuning existing security use cases and creating new detection content. This includes planning each release and overseeing all design, development, testing and implementation activities.
The strategic focus of the Support Engineer is to ensure that the detection and monitoring technology remains optimised, current and tailored to the changing threat landscape, authority risk position and technology in use.
The SOC Support Engineer is a cyber technical specialist with deep knowledge of the Cyber Monitoring technologies and cyber threat tools, tactics, techniques and procedures.
Security Clearance (SC) is required for this roles and candidates must be eligible for SC, as well as be prepared to undergo DV clearance. Responsibilities
- Oversee deployment / implementation activities ensuring that entry criteria are met, all planned activities are completed and that rollback plans are initiated where required.
- Develop, test and deploy updated and new content across the monitored estate in liaison with the Operations teams.
- Take playbooks from the Ops teams, develop seek approval and deploy.
- Maintain existing detection content to ensure it remains current and relevant to the monitored estate.
- Assess the effectiveness of new / updated rules and analytics to feed into future development activities.
- Review and approve all required documentation as part of a release or change including design, deployment, configuration and administration guides.
- Maintain the threat Modelling Service.
- Maintain the Asset and Configuration Management service.
- Obtain authorisation for implementing releases and changes through the Change Management process.
- Strong knowledge of how Azure and AWS security functions work as security controls as well as detection tools to protect large cloud estates; Produce content and playbooks on Sentinal and Splunk to detect security breaches and recognise the importance of threat led Use Cases.
- Knowledge of SIEM/SOAR tools (Splunk and Sentinel at a minimum) and other appropriate tooling e.g. SOAR, Threat Intelligence, traffic analysis tools etc. to identify signs of an intrusion, and advise where new/improved tooling could enhance the SOC operation
- Deep knowledge and experience of operational ICT service delivery management.
- Working with a range of security tooling/technology
- Strong understanding of security architecture, in particular networking
- Detailed understanding of threat intelligence and threat actors, TTPs and operationalising threat intelligence.
- Understand TCP/IP component layers to identify normal and abnormal traffic
- Experience of Splunk (with ES) &/or Sentinel
- Experience developing SIEM/SOAR content desirable
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Client side consulting, including stakeholder engagement and the ability to communicate insights and concepts to others (including briefing skills and report writing)
- Coaching mindset - help and mentor team
- Security process development
- Able to understand and adapt to different cultures and hierarchical structures.
- Self-starter and capable of independent working
- Team player and adept at working in multi-disciplinary and diverse teams
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.