Machine Learning Algorithm Developer
- up top £55,000 depending on experience
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Design, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical
- Job Type
- Early Career, Engineer, Senior & Chartered Engineer, Engineering Manager
MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.
Salary: Circa £55,000 depending on experience
What we can offer you:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Annual salary review
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Hybrid working pattern: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
You'll join a team of intelligent systems, autonomous systems and command and control (C2) engineers. The team develops and evaluates algorithms spanning a range of domains from on-board, autonomous decision making, to off-board C2 algorithms.
Our algorithms are central to the design of sophisticated guided weapon systems products. These algorithms are developed throughout the lifecycle of the product and include research studies to investigate algorithms for future developments.
Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS) Engineers are involved in the lifecycle of projects, playing a pivotal role in our product developments including:
- Technical development of specific algorithms or studies for key programmes within MBDA.
- Feasibility studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, preparing trials, trials analysis and reporting, defining architecture, validating algorithms and models.
- Technical assessments and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either solely or as a member of a project team.
- Engaging with the algorithm users, understanding and responding to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for purpose.
What we're looking for from you:
- Degree or PhD level qualification in related area or a degree with strong, mathematical content and programming skills; and a keen interest in cutting-edge technologies.
- Relevant experience (Post-Doctoral or industrial) in robotics, data fusion, tracking/estimation, pattern discovery & recognition, statistical inference, optimisation and machine/deep learning algorithms along with real-time implementation, and/or validation & verification is a strong advantage
- Experience in Matlab, Simulink and/or Stateflow, Python including PyTorch, TensorFlow, Open AI-Gym/Universe or Model Based Design would be desirable
We encourage our IAS Engineers to cultivate a broad and in-depth knowledge across a variety of fields and topics. However, specific knowledge or experience in any of these areas is of benefit:
- Robotics, guidance and autonomous decision making, e.g. Routing and motion/trajectory planning, optimisation, co-ordinated guidance and control, decision theory, MDPs/POMDPs, specialist systems, game theory, decision support systems, multi-agent systems
- Data fusion and state estimation/tracking algorithms e.g. Kalman Filtering, multiple-model tracking methods, particle filters, grid-based estimation methods, Multi-Object-Multi-Sensor Fusion, data-association, random finite sets, Bayesian belief networks, Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence
- Machine Learning for regression and pattern recognition/discovery problems e.g. Gaussian processes, latent variable methods, support vector machines, probabilistic/statistical models, neural networks, Bayesian inference, random-forests, novelty detection, clustering
- Deep Learning e.g. Deep reinforcement learning, Monte-Carlo tree search, deep regression/classification, deep embeddings, recurrent Networks, natural language processing
- Computer Vision algorithms e.g. Structure from motion, image Based navigation, SLAM, pose estimation/recovery
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information.
Please Note: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Together. For the future of defence.
We work with purpose, knowing that every advancement provides better, smarter and more effective defence capabilities to the UK and their allies. Regarded as one of the most trusted suppliers of defence solutions in Europe, we have a relationship with the UK military spanning back over 70 years.
Whether it’s designing a future concept for the British Army, managing the procurement of a missile component or harnessing their expertise in software in order to integrate one of our products on to the newest fighter jet, all of our employees are a part of delivering a more secure tomorrow.
In addition to being the only defence company on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work 2022 list, MBDA are also recognised nationally with three Investors in People Gold Awards (People, Apprenticeships, and Wellbeing), a top 10 finisher on the Best Big Companies to Work For 2022 league tables.
For the latest vacancies, employer updates and stories from our people, make sure to visit and bookmark our MBDA UK Careers site.
Our values are at the core of everything we do and shape the culture of our organisation. No matter what role, our people from leadership to entry-level encompass these values knowing that they are working towards the same common goal, sharing a bigger purpose in order to protect national security and enable strategic independence.
Through promoting change with Innovation, taking ownership through Commitment, building trust through Integrity, inspiring others through Passion and encouraging collaboration through Team Spirit, we have created a place where people feel connected with each other and valued in our community.
6 Hills way
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert