About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus, up to 10% + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As a Senior Electrical Design & Power System Engineer you will join the Grid Engineering Team to deliver project management, design and engineering ownership for electrical power projects at transmission and distribution voltages across UK and Ireland. The focus of the team is design, develop, ensure grid code compliance and provide owners Engineer services to Solar and Battery directorate. Your passion for engineering will drive you to embed innovation into the solutions which you will develop, such that you successfully optimise scope, cost, programme, and risk for your projects, considering health, safety, and the environment throughout.
Some of your main accountabilities may include:
- Designing of new distribution and transmission connected projects from point of connection (PoC) through to last inverter for Solar and Batteries generations. These connections range from 33kV through to 400kV and are often co-located.
- Carrying out detailed power system analysis to determine required electrical infrastructure.
- Providing detailed HV cable design and earthing studies.
- Leading the grid code compliance process.
- Performing Owners Engineer role including site attendance and factory acceptance test (FAT).
- Preparing planning applications for transmission projects and negotiating contracts with host distribution or transmission companies.
- Understanding project development process and work with technical and commercial stakeholders to take project from concept to construction handover.
You will have the opportunity to grow as a professional individual while you help grow the business, and you will be supported in your personal development throughout.
What do I need?
We are looking for an Electrical Design & Power System Engineer with experience in electrical design of generation projects from 33kV to 400kV.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Previous experience with high voltage substation design or construction projects.
- Understanding of electrical plant items and control systems such as transformers, GIS and AIS switchgear, etc.
- Experience of working on DigSilent Powerfactory, ETAP, Cymcap, PSS/E, CDEGS, with ability to build models from scratch and execute all required power system studies to inform project decisions.
- Capability to review electrical designs, understand operational drawings, identify minimum electrical design requirements at each stage of project and minimise design risks during planning stage of project.
- Demonstrable experience of grid code compliance and owners engineer role.
- Chartered Engineer status or ability to obtain would be highly desirable.
- Experience in utility and or consultancy would be advantageous.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Andrew on 01738 275847.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.