Senior Security Architect
- Perth & Kinross, Scotland, Perth
- Closing date
- 21 Jun 2023
- Computing & IT
- Job Type
- Business & Non-Engineering
SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our Scottish sites (Perth, Glasgow, Aberdeen or Inverness) but we will also consider Reading or Havant.
Salary: circa £85k + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
This role is for an experienced Security Architect to support the development of the technology estate that supports SSE's Transmission business. The scope will range from the control systems that operate our transmission lines and sub-stations, to the enterprise level IT systems that support our business and operational teams. As we deliver enhancements to our business capabilities, moving from a limited set of solutions to a modern, cloud based, application portfolio, we need to ensure we build this in a secure and robust manner. The role will contribute across a range of initiatives, with a focus on creating roadmaps of security capabilities, and providing the high-level designs for them to be implemented.
The successful applicant will report to the Lead Solution Architect as part of an expanding architecture team, with the ability to influence strategy and approach. This is a great opportunity to play a pivotal role in the transformation of SSE Transmission's systems to secure, dynamic and robust platforms that can support the rapid expansion of our business to meet our Net Zero targets.
- Contributing to the creation of a technology strategy for security and feeding it into programmes of work for delivery. This will include consultancy across projects to ensure the technical solutions proposed are aligned with that strategy.
- Creation and ongoing ownership of roadmaps for security solutions. This will cover initial requirements, gap analysis, product/solution selection and prioritisation for implementation. You will use your experience to bring innovative solutions to bear on our technology landscape, with ideas for their rapid deployment to mitigate current risks.
- Working with SSE's central security teams to align on the protection patterns and techniques, Group security policies and standards that will be applied to the architecture designs for Transmission. You will also provide expert guidance on security matters to our Solution Architects and Technical Specialists.
- Ensuring we have the right security solutions planned or in place, the correct technical design material and maintenance processes to support them to meet our regulatory obligations.
- Provide an effective assurance function that ensures we deliver the right solutions, bringing together stakeholders from a range of disciplines and our Procurement teams. You will also own the process of applying security self-assurance (within the Transmission IT team) to our solutions.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A structured and methodical approach to solutioning, with the ability to communicate clearly and concisely at multiple levels, and the ability to lead discussions and influence stakeholders who are used to operating with less structured approaches.
- Experience of working in a programme/project environment with involvement in the full lifecycle of delivery from planning to operations.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of information security concepts and principles as well as a range of related security topics. This includes technical areas such as: network segmentation; identity management and access control; cryptography and its applications as well as designing for manageability.
- Experience using common information security management frameworks such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) frameworks.
- Experience with a range of security and networking technology solutions, including cloud-based solutions like the Azure cybersecurity product range.
Candidates for this role will be required to obtain vetting to SC level through UK Government. The criteria normally includes 5 years UK residency, further information can be found here: United Kingdom Security Vetting: Applicant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
We are driven by our purpose: to provide energy needed today while building a better world of energy for tomorrow.
We are a leading generator of renewable electricity and one of the largest electricity network companies in the UK.
We develop, own and operate low carbon infrastructure to support the zero-carbon transition. This includes onshore and offshore wind, hydro power, electricity transmission and distribution grids, and efficient gas-fired generation, alongside providing energy products and services for businesses, and we have interests across Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Japan, Spain, Portugal, Denmark and Poland.
Our twin focus of practicality and inspiration is a strategy that has seen us through more than 70 years.
We are UK listed, employing 10,000 talented and skilled people and are real Living Wage and Fair Tax Mark accredited.
Because we’re SSE, and we’re for a better world of energy – for everyone.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert