About our Business
SSE Thermal is on a mission to deliver the flexible energy needed today while powering the transition to net zero. Our 600+ employees play a crucial role in keeping the lights on across the UK and Ireland and we're rising to the low-carbon challenge with our teams at the cutting-edge of vital technologies. We're developing ground-breaking carbon capture and storage projects and progressing plans for what could be the world's first hydrogen-fired power station, as well as a major hydrogen storage facility and exploring other exciting options as we decarbonise. We've already achieved a lot - but we're just getting started. As part of SSE, which is investing £24bn this decade, we're at the forefront of the energy transition - so come join us as we continue to grow and power change.
To find out more, read this blog from Catherine Raw, our Managing Director, on our critical role in delivering net zero.
About the Role
Base Location: Medway Power Station, North Kent
OTE: up to £55,000
Salary: £38,073 - £44,257 + skills shortage allowance of 10% uplift to base salary + annual bonus (up to 8%) + 3 yearly retention bonus + paid overtime, shares option, up to 10 days extra holiday purchase, training as required + a range of other benefits to support your family, and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Mon-Fri | 37 hours per week | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Daywork Support Engineers, you will be part of a team of Maintenance Technicians responsible for maintaining Control & Instrumentation plant and equipment to high standards and best practice to ensure the plant availability and reliability is maximised. We are exploring options to decarbonise our energy generation at Medway through emerging CCS and hydrogen solutions to ensure the site can continue to provide essential flexible power in line with our net-zero goals.
- Delivering quality maintenance of plant and equipment to minimise repeat defects and maximise availability and reliability throughout the Station.
- Maintain high standards of Safety within the Maintenance Department and contractors employed by them and work within the requirements of the company's Safety Rules.
- Ensuring that key control & instrumentation plant areas are maintained as defined by the planned maintenance strategy to highest standards using best practice.
- Supervising and hosting Contractors as required.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Controls/Process Apprenticeship, C&G's, ONC/HNC level in Control and Instrumentation / Process Controls, candidates with equivalent industry experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of maintenance practices on industrial plant.
- Knowledge of control and instrumentation equipment such as: Process measurement instrumentation (pressure, flow, temperature, PH etc.), pneumatic control valves and equipment, CompEx and SIL systems, PLCs, distributed control (DCS) and industrial network communications.
- A broad understanding of Health and Safety, a certificate in IOSH or NEBOSH would be advantageous.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Hannah on 01738 341147.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.