BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Software Engineer Start Date: VariousLocation: Manchester Company Overview
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence helps nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cybercrime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations.
We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes - often collecting and analysing huge volumes of data. These, combined with our Cyber Special forces - some of the most skilled people in the world - enable us to defend against cyber-attacks, fraud and financial crime, enable intelligence-led policing and solve complex data problems.
We are obsessed about solving problems for our customers; we bring together great minds that face tough challenges on a daily basis, and are encouraged to make a difference. National Security Manchester Overview
The National Security business in Manchester is growing and there are an increasing number of opportunities to work with a range of National Security clients to provide solutions that have a real impact.
Be part of a growing team that not only delivers for its clients but also gives back to the community with plenty of opportunities to get involved with local community engagement and outreach activities to help build tech and cyber skills in the region. Role Profile
The Software Engineer analyses requirements, designs, implements and unit tests software code and supporting artefacts using appropriate tools and following the disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
The Software Engineer:
- Produces or validates the schedule and effort estimate for each task they perform
- Demonstrates an understanding of the importance of schedule and will endeavour to estimate accurately and deliver according to those estimates
- Demonstrates skill and adeptness in team collaboration, technical discussion and negotiation.
- Continually increase personal understanding of the languages, frameworks, technical concepts, methods and measurements that underpin the Engineering disciplines and practices of BAE Systems.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand, challenge, contribute or construct software specification and is capable of building software in line with the specifications
- Exploits appropriate software development methods, languages, libraries and techniques and applies these to software engineering tasks to realise the most effective outcome
- Ensures that all work is consistent with defined standards where standards exist and to withstand professional scrutiny in any case
- Ensures that high quality and delivery standards are met and consistently delivers quality code on time and within estimate.
- Demonstrates the ability to reflect on and improve personal performance
- Works as a member of a development team, collaborates with other team members and participates in technical discussions and conversations with customers.
Desired Technical Ability Aptitude in one or more of the following:
- Completes Software tasks as directed by the Software Development Team Leader
- Designs, codes, tests, corrects and documents simple programs, and assists in the implementation of software which forms part of a properly engineered information or communications system with limited supervision from more senior engineers
- Provides accurate estimates of development effort needed to design, code and test software from given specifications
- Logically analyses code defects and produces timely code fixes
- Java - Java JEE, JSP, JSF, EJB, Spring/SpringBoot, JDBC
- Web - HTML, CSS, REST
- Infrastructure - systems administration, network security & engineering, protocols (TCP/IP)
- O/S - Linux, Windows
- Microsoft Office - specifically Microsoft Excel - Lookups, pivot tables
Our commitments to you:
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- The aptitude for solving complex/technical problems
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Objective and logical with an enquiring and creative mind
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Resilience under pressure
- Desire to learn
- Competence in Microsoft Office packages/ IT literate
- Offer a flexible working pattern which can been your needs, we understand that there needs to be a balance between work and home life
- We have a lot of working parents here at BAE, doing the school run is an acceptable task to do, our flexible working means you are able to do this
- We have a dedicated Career Manager who will guide you through your journey with us, providing career advice as you go
- If you need to change your hours we can do this on a pro-rata basis, we have a lot of people who work 3 or 4 days a week and we are happy to support this should you want to work a shorter week depending on what works for you
- We have a range of Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) which are set up by our staff to focus on making our place of work a better place. Some of these are: Great Minds (Mental Health), Age (breaking stereotypes about people of all ages), All in Club (how to be inclusive to everyone) and much more
- A 1 stage interview process which is done online to save you more time and offer you more flexibility of time slots. If you would rather this was in person or want more information we can of course accommodate this as well.
- If you have a disability or require any additional support or time at interview stage please let our recruitment team know, we are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to giving you the best chance at interview stage.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
#AIcareers Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. About BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.