SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible UK, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant and London.
Salary: £51,600 - £77,400 dependant on experience + car / cash allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
Reporting to the Onshore Electrical Engineering Manager, the Lead Electrical Asset Engineer will be responsible for the management of the Electrical Asset Engineers to ensure successful technical expertise is provided across all onshore operational assets.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical expertise in order to manage the medium to long term integrity of high-risk renewable energy operational assets and new build projects, where failure would have a major impact on safety; environmental; and commercial operation of the business.
- Supporting the development of relevant engineering and design standards / specifications and undertake engineering reviews and assessments across the operational fleet to ensure assets comply with engineering legislation and standards.
- Approving engineering reviews and technical reports produced by Electrical Engineers associated with onshore operational assets.
- Identifying, proposing and managing condition-based monitoring activities, and provide specialist engineering support and advice on the same to asset operators and project teams.
- Utilising specialist knowledge and experience from the operational fleet to develop engineering designs and technical requirements for new build renewable energy assets.
- Identifying opportunities to increase the value contribution of Onshore Engineering to the business.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role we are looking for some key essential skills and experience:
- Experience of motivating and managing an engineering team, with the capability of driving them to deliver high quality specialist work.
- Experience of embedding a strong safety culture across a team, and leading by example.
- Demonstrable specialist technical knowledge gained from a background working with electricity generation assets and their operation.
- A Chartered Engineer and a member of the Engineering Council or working towards this goal.
- Strong working knowledge of appropriate engineering legislation and industry good practice.
- Strong commercial awareness in order to understand implications of engineering activities and decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at various managerial levels within the business.
- Although flexible on base location, you will be required to travel as and when is required by the work being undertaken, sometimes to remote locations. A full UK driving license is essential.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.