Senior Electrical Controls Engineer
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Salary: £39,748 - £44,166 per annum. A Specialist Allowance of up to £4,000 per annum (dependent on skills and experience) is also available for this role.
Hours: Full time
Contract Type: Open Ended.
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Harwell, Oxfordshire
Come and do the kind of engineering that made you want to be an engineer. Stretch your technical skills while building human understanding. Promote sustainability and create new materials. And, alongside world-leading scientists and technologists, shape projects that improve lives, and daily life, in the UK and far beyond.
Put simply, come and discover the impact you can make when you're equipped, encouraged and inspired to perform to your very best.
We have an opportunity for two Senior Electrical Controls Engineers to join the Target Controls Section within ISIS Controls Group, which is part of the ISIS Electrical Systems Division. The Group provides both large-scale distributed and stand-alone control systems throughout the ISIS Target, Accelerator, and Neutron/Muon beamlines utilising a wide range of technologies. You will play a leading role as part of the team that is responsible for the specification, design, build, installation, and support of custom-built MAC(Machine Automation Controller) & HMI-based systems for the Target Stations. You will have a high level of competence and confidence to manage and maintain current installations, whilst also keeping up to date with new technological developments to ensure that ISIS systems remain at the forefront of technology. As part of the wider group, you will also be encouraged to use and develop your skills to support a variety of other types of control systems including EPICS, LabVIEW, and Safety Interlock Systems.
Both positions have similar responsibilities however one is focused on DSEAR compliance and the other on ensuring the availability of Target Control Systems.
Main responsibilities include:
- Prepare and check engineering drawings and user documentation, using AutoCAD, Vault, and other standard office software packages.
- Generate technical specifications for external contracts and follow these up from beginning to end ensuring the best quality of the work.
- As a Nominated Person (Electrical), you will be responsible for the effective management of risk and safety measures for you and your team. This includes providing high-quality health and safety documentation relevant to the section's equipment and work commitments.
- Lead and supervise the work of staff, contract staff, and subcontractors in the manufacture and installation of electrical control panels and peripheral equipment in Hazardous Areas.
- Responsible for the design and delivery of a new MAC-based control system and the upgrade of EOL control systems with a state of art control systems.
- You will play a key role in helping to train and develop other staff within the section.
- You must be willing to work in radiation-controlled environments and carry out occasional travel within the UK and overseas. The position requires a leading role to be played in the provision of out-of-hours on-call support during ISIS user cycles to resolve faults and problems. An additional on-call allowance is available for this.
We are offering a permanent position with a whole host of benefits including:
- 30 days holiday (in addition to 10.5 bank holidays and privilege days).
- Flexible working hours.
- An excellent defined average salary pension scheme.
- Employee shopping/travel discounts.
- Excellent learning and development opportunities.
Plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
UKRI is an Equal Opportunity & Disability Confident Employer.
How to apply:
For full details on the role, please visit our careers site. Please submit an application including your CV and a Cover Letter that clearly showcases how your skills and experience align to the requirements of the role.
Closing Date: Sunday 25th June 2023
We ask some of the biggest questions in the universe, to answer some of the biggest challenges in the world. Together, our scientists, technologists, engineers and business support team explore the unknown across every field you could think of. And they turn what they find into work that changes the world around us.
What could you achieve with the world-leading facilities and experts of one of Europe's largest research organisations by your side? Join us and discover what's possible.